Sour Crop CURED with Monistat

Pics
Well...here's than update. This was "Baby's" first day with normal layer feed and grit. Crop has been empty all day until just a bit ago. Her crop felt squishy so I thought id give her a quick massage to see if it would help and she puked on me. Thoughts, am I worried about nothing...should I be more worried?
Oh and I took her crop bra off earlier this evening too...

I have to leave my hens "crop bra" on all the time or she gets squishy again. I check her every night to make sure it's in place. As long as it's on her, she does fine.
The only other thing I would keep in mind for the future is that, from everything I've read, a lot of the time, the propensity towards the issues that caused the sour crop can be inherited. So I won't be hatching out any of her eggs.

I have to leave my hens "crop bra" on all the time or she gets squishy again. I check her every night to make sure it's in place. As long as it's on her, she does fine.
The only other thing I would keep in mind for the future is that, from everything I've read, a lot of the time, the propensity towards the issues that caused the sour crop can be inherited. So I won't be hatching out any of her eggs.

Good to know! She was squishy today but not bad. She just may be one of those that need a little extra support :). Guess tomorrow will tell more.

I have a blue Cochin I have been nursing for huge squishy crop for a while.thank you so much for sock bra idea!!!! she wearing it n relaxed after I fed n massaged an hour off n on. have her separated from the rest and they are mad but hey she needs it.

Last edited:
I just want to thank everyone! I gained sO much information from this thread! Update on Baby...she has been in the coop and run for about a week and all has been great. A few times ive checked her and she seemed squishy and/or full Iwould just massage her and next morning she is empty. She's gaining weight and looking good...this thread saved our 'Baby'!!!

DO NOT USE MONISTAT!!!!!
IT IS TOXIC TO BIRDS!!!!!

My hen had sour crop which I discovered on a Sunday afternoon. Afer reading these posts I went to the store and bought Monistat. She was worse on Monday. I rushed her to the vet when I got home that evening and she couldn't hold her head up. The vet gave her all sorts of fluids and medicines. The vet told me that the Monistat contains propylene glycol which is toxic to birds. My hen died this morning at the vet. My other hen is showing similar symptoms and the vet told me to NOT give her Monistat, but to bring her in immediately. I followed this advice and my bird is dead. People need to know this is not the cure, it is a way to kill them.

DO NOT USE MONISTAT!!!!!
IT IS TOXIC TO BIRDS!!!!!

My hen had sour crop which I discovered on a Sunday afternoon. Afer reading these posts I went to the store and bought Monistat. She was worse on Monday. I rushed her to the vet when I got home that evening and she couldn't hold her head up. The vet gave her all sorts of fluids and medicines. The vet told me that the Monistat contains propylene glycol which is toxic to birds. My hen died this morning at the vet. My other hen is showing similar symptoms and the vet told me to NOT give her Monistat, but to bring her in immediately. I followed this advice and my bird is dead. People need to know this is not the cure, it is a way to kill them.

Sorry for your loss... What medicines did your vet give?

-Kathy

She gave her fluids, dextrose, baytril, and steroids. She couldn't stand and when I was rushing her to the vet, her comb was turning purple. My other one is going in today and hopefully she will make it.

I'm very sorry if this thread has caused anyone's birds any harm. I'll see if I can contact the site admin. to have this thread taken down so I don't harm anyone else's birds.

According to the box that I used the suppository only contained: Gelatin, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil Base, and Titanium Dioxide. The cream that also comes in the box does contain Propylene Glycol but I did not use, or suggest using the cream portion of the treatment, only the suppositories.

Quote:
Tags: African Grey Nutritionasked February 22, 2013
link
Asked by: Karin
Karin also asked:
Answer

Dear Karin
I really appologize for not answering this question earlier, it was missed!
But Thank you for this question, This comes up from time to time as there is so much mis-information on the internet.
Propylene Glycol comes up occasionally because of the wide variety of uses for it. It is completely safe. In our products it is used as an Antioxident. We have safely fed our birds Avi-Cakes and Nutri-Berries for over 20 years and would never use anything that would harm them. P.G. is a widely used organic compound that is approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a safe additive. One used in countless human medicines, foods and products, including those for babies. It also has been used as a base ingredient for some Antifreeze products which has spurred rumors on the internet about its safety. When accually the compound that is toxic is Ethylene Glycol. It is a highly toxic chemical compount that is used in different brands of Antifreeze. While the names are similar, they are a completely different compounds. There is absolutely no scientific foundation for anyone to say that Propylene Glycol is unsafe. The fact that it is widely used in products for human infants should attest the safety of this compound.
Lafeber Company has worked with renouned nutrition experts and Veterinarians. Our products are safe and sound for all pet birds.
Thank you for Asking Lafeber and I hope this helps answer your question.
Kathi"
-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom