Sour crop + green poo?

JamminCats

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Hi all! I have a hen with sour crop. She is passing green and white stool. I am trying the minoconazole/yogurt trick but she doesn’t seem to want to eat it.

either way, is the green poop associated with sour crop or something else entirely?

Green poop is probably bile and that shows up when a chicken stops eating. Weight loss is a side effect from sour crop. You need to pry open the beak and wipe the cream off inside the mouth. Occasionally a chicken will eat the vaginal cream off your finger, but most are uncooperative. You must treat twice a day for a full seven days to be effective.

To be sure you're treating the right crop issue, here's a short article that may help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Green poop is probably bile and that shows up when a chicken stops eating. Weight loss is a side effect from sour crop. You need to pry open the beak and wipe the cream off inside the mouth. Occasionally a chicken will eat the vaginal cream off your finger, but most are uncooperative. You must treat twice a day for a full seven days to be effective.

To be sure you're treating the right crop issue, here's a short article that may help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She won’t eat it off my finger or the syringe period. I’m not able to pry open the beak alone and I don’t have a second set of hands.

what if I mixed the minoconazole in water and put it in a waterer?

You cannot mix the moconazole in water as it will dilute it and you may as well not treat at all for all the good it will do. However, you can get creative and stuff the dose inside a treat. The pet food aisle actually sells "pill pockets". Or you can look for them online. Most any vet office also sells them. They are hollow bite size treats, usually for dogs and cats, and you can stuff the miconazole dose inside, then offer it as a treat. Some folks use a small bit of bread or something that can be molded around the dose.

With practice, one person can do the work of two. I use a towel to wrap my patient's wings and feet to completely immobilize them so they can't struggle. Then I use both hands to pry open the beak and then slip a finger inside to keep it open while using my other hand to stuff the med in.

All chicken keepers should be outfitted with at least three arms and hands. It would solve so many problems.

Back
Top Bottom