Sour crop? Green poop?

Continue the yeast meds for a solid week. If at the end of the seven days, there is still considerable solid material in the crop at morning inspection, then it would be a good idea to target the solids with oil and perhaps a stool softener. You might also consider trying a crop bra either before that or during this latter treatment. It can support the crop in a higher position so it can better drain.

Continue the yeast meds for a solid week. If at the end of the seven days, there is still considerable solid material in the crop at morning inspection, then it would be a good idea to target the solids with oil and perhaps a stool softener. You might also consider trying a crop bra either before that or during this latter treatment. It can support the crop in a higher position so it can better drain.
Sounds good, should I continue with offering moistened pellet feed in small quantities throughout the day or try to work her back towards dry food?
Also would I be correct in assuming that I should keep her indoors and isolated until I know she is clearing the crop fully and regularly?
Thank you all so much for the help and I will try to let you know how she does!

When I treat a sour crop, I offer dry feed since I feed fermented feed to the flock and sour crop patients don't like the FF for some reason. Chickens seem to know what they need and avoid what will make things worse. Offer a variety of foods, avoiding those high in carbs which feed the yeast.

I usually treat my crop patients inside until they begin to improve, then return them to the flock after they recover their appetites and begin to eat normal feed again.

Also would I be correct in assuming that I should keep her indoors and isolated until I know she is cle
Keeping her isolated will definitely give you a better way to track her poops and food/water intake.

You could have her in a kennel in the coop if you are worried about reintegration later.

I always take my sickies inside but I'd never considered the problems that could cause for reintegration.

Hello all
I just wanted to update you all and thank you so much for your help, our chicken, now named Margaret, seems all healed up. Her crop is emptying every morning. She is eating well and fine on her normal dry food, drinking and moving around. Her comb and wattles are almost as bright red as her friends outside. We are continuing her medication for the remained of the week to ensure we get all the yeast in control.

Now we start the next adventure of reintegration to the flock.. im hoping it goes okay as she has only been absent for 5 and a half days. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom