sour crop? head twisting, full of air

thepaperrose

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
northwest michigan
I have a LF brahma boy just under a year old. I first thought he had hypothermia but he never perked up, he was found very cold in the morning next to the door. I force fed him the first night, been giving him Rooster Booster once a day. Starting the second day we tried a few different kinds if food. Apparently the cream of wheat is easiest to eat, although wouldn't be my first choice. He drinks a lot of water, which I like. But his crop isn't emptying and is filling with air. He's a big boy so I'm not comfortable emptying his crop, but I have been getting as much air as possible out of it. It doesn't smell rotten, just smells like whatever he's been eating. On day 2 I put duramycin in his water and he perked up a bit but still lots of air in his crop. I know sour crop can be fungal so no duramycin yesterday (day 5) and started miconasole(monistat 3) this morning. His poos started with the slimy green topped with white and are now mostly water, so I know things are going through. Also, he twists his head and neck up really tight, almost in a knot, and shoves it as far as he can under him. Sometimes his bum goes up and he flops. When I get his head more upright, he will stand and sit okay. Seems like being all twisted disorients him. He keeps his chin tucked in really tight and doesn't lift it when he drinks so some water just dribbles back out. He sleeps most of the day but seems to enjoy when I wake him up to feed and talk to him.

Am I possibly on the right track, or is this something else?

I think he has other things going on besides a slow crop which can happen with other problems. He sounds as though he has wry neck. Is he walking normally or at all? Does he show any leg weakness, limping or leg , or foot dragging? Does he sit or stand puffed up. Is he alert or lethargic? I would start him on vitamins, especially B1 and E, and add a tiny bit of selenium to his feed or water. Nutridrench is good, and PolyVisol without iron baby vitamins 3 drop dily by mouth would work. Did he have a Mareks vaccine? Mareks disease can cause wry neck, crop stasis, green diarrhea,and weakness of the legs which would cause lying around. Could he have injured his head or neck? Here is a good link about wry neck: http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html

He stumbles but can walk if I hold his head for him. This evening I found him off his rug looking around. So, he can move a little on his own. He doesn't show any sign of leg weakness. He seems to get frustrated when he tries to move around which sends his head in a twist. He fluffs up when hes awake and likes to groom himself, which frustrates him because of his disorientation. If I let him lean against my hand to help him stay upright he does better. He wakes up for a few minutes then falls back asleep for an hour or so. I try to catch him when he's awake to make sure he can get food and eater if he needs it. He was given to me last fall by a breeder at a show, so I highly doubt that he's been vaccinated for anything.

I read the links you gave me. I also googled it and watched some videos, read more pages. It actually looks and sounds more like what his problem is. Every other time I've had chickens do weird things with their neck, they would gorge on water then throw up. I've helped a few of them with it over the years and was able to remove things from their crop. This roo doesn't have any lumps, no horrible smells.

I don't have access to all of the ingredients for the emergency diet, but I'm going to get as close as I can tonight. With no other signs of infection, should I continue with the antibiotics or antifungals?

Thank you so much for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom