Sour Crop! Help!! Please!!

welcome-byc.gif

I have three hens that are all 2 years old. This is the first year that one of my girls got sour crop. ( only alittle experience) It is terribly confusing to diagnose and treat an animal by myself, but there was no way hubby was going to let me bring a hen to the vet.

I brought her away from the other hens too so I could monitor poo and food and water ( cold wi winter-I took her to stay in my bathtub) I read so many things to help that I just decided to do it all. I decided I wasn't going to vomit her though.

Each day 3 or 4 times a day morning and evening I massaged her crop downward and around in circles, pretty firmly. I'd hear it gurgle, and she would actually burp and feel better. I knew this because after I did it she would try to eat and move around after just laying there. I watered down her pellets or crumbles so it was soft. I think a few days I put acv in the water, but she didn't drink as much with it in is, so I switched to putting baking soda in it. ( to tell you the truth I am not sure what this did) I also thought I read that oil was good, so I did lightly water down some bread without the crust and put a layer of olive oil on it. She loved it and for a time that half piece of bread was all she ate in the day. She's always hated yougurt. I also sprinkeled some kids culturelle on her wet food. It took about a week to a week and a half and the swollen mushy crop was gone, and she was acting like herself...but was really tiny! She seems to be healthy now and gained her weight back rather quickly! I would say go with your gut with all the different types of treatments, and try the massaging, make sure she has a lot of fresh clean water.

Back
Top Bottom