Sour crop not going down please help!

Just a week ago I had a hen with this exact issue. I had been treating her with every sour crop treatment there is - miconazole, copper sulfate, medistatin. Nothing worked. I even resorted to extracting the liquid from her crop each morning. But it became apparent that an underlying issue was causing the crop issue, and since it was not getting better, so the crop couldn't recover either. The hen died the night before I planned to euthanize her.

So, yes, when nothing is working and the hen is getting worse, not better, then euthanasia is what I suggest.
I am so sorry for your loss! Unfortunately I think my little girl is going to go down the same way it’s always a mystery why something’s work and other don’t. I think what I’m going to do is just let her be with her chick family until she departs she’s a lot happier with them and I don’t want her dying in a cage. I don’t know how much longer she has but I’ll be doing the best I can to be there for her till the end.

What's her poop like?

Have you also treated for Coccidiosis and dewormed her?
If not, consider getting a fecal float to rule out those 2 or you can just treat her if you're considering putting her down.

Corid can be found at TSC in the cattle section.
I'd drench her at a rate of 0.10ml undiluted liquid Corid once daily for 3 days in a row. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water per these instructions - 2tsp Liquid Corid per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

For deworming, use Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer. 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Yes. You can give the Corid and Safeguard together.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Oh wow there’s even more to learn it seems! Well luckily her poop actually looks fairly normal? I don’t have any examples sadly but it’s just a muddy brown sometimes solid sometimes muddy liquidy no real pattern I’ve seen no blood or anything intense. So I don’t think it’s that but as for deworming none of my chickens have been dewormed or are dewormed regularly so that might be something helpful to implement in the future I really appreciate your input in this matter it means a lot I always appreciative of all the help I could get!

Back
Top Bottom