Sour Crop not improving

I did.
Not the first time this week also, been careful doing so, 2-3 secondes at the time, giving her breaks in between. I was very hesitant to do it, but honestly, with the size of that crop, I didn't have much options. She was overflowing everytime she was trying to eat, drink, peck at the ground.

She's doing good for now. I didn't gave her anything outside chick starter this week, for the extra proteins.

She does have grit. All my hens have access to it. It's a first time in 4 years, that problem.

So you vomited her?

I'd be careful doing that so she doesn't aspirate. Many a person has had a bird die by doing that.

She's mighty young at 17 weeks to have a pendulous crop, but hopefully this will resolve soon.

Not sure what the red is either. Looks like fruit or watermelon or something like that.

Do you provide Grit (Crushed Granite) for your birds? If you don't, then I recommend that you do.

I'd finish treat the sour crop. See that she's eating a commercial chick crumble or starter very well.
Hopefully she's on her way to a full recovery.

Did your vet run a fecal float to see if worms are a problem?

I'd treat as Pendulous and Sour.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your flock?
What do you normally feed?
Photos of poop?
Picture of poop, as promise!

The one below war earlier, just after treating her.

The one above is later today, after she ate, drink and was resting on her perch.

I felt her crop 15min ago. It's almost dark outside. It feels firmer, with food in it. Not as firm as you would have with a healthy chicken, bit definitely less watery. There liquid, but there's also food. Feel a bit like a dough? So far, the crop bra seems to help her, but she's really not liking it. She walks around like she's drunk lol. I made sure it was not too tight under the wing to cut the blood flow.

Attachments

• PXL_20221105_211239274.jpg
    PXL_20221105_211239274.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 16
Poop looks quite dry.
I'd see that she's staying hydrated.
Get the coconut oil into her, offer wet feed. Follow the article.

You want foods to move on and be processed, so it doesn't sound like she's digesting a lot. Possibly has a partial blockage.

Poop looks quite dry.
I'd see that she's staying hydrated.
Get the coconut oil into her, offer wet feed. Follow the article.

You want foods to move on and be processed, so it doesn't sound like she's digesting a lot. Possibly has a partial blockage.
I'm suspicious that she had difficulty to drink and keep the water before I emptied her crop today.

I really hope that tomorrow will be better. Will get her more coconut oil. She's willing to eat it on her own.

I'll also provide wet food, but she's a picky eater. Sometimes she just wants her dry feed.

Hi !

I'm having some troubles with my 17~ weeks Marans.

2 weeks ago, I perched her in the coop and her head dropped below her, and she vomited some yellowish mucus. I checked her immediately and her crop was and squishy and full of liquid.

I thought right away that it was a sour crop.
I took her, isolated he in a big cage and I've been trying to heal her ever seen.

First day I removed water and food and the crop drained a lot. I started her on Monistat, 2 times a day. Long story short, my vet didn't want to prescribe her anti-fungal because it was like 150$ and he didn't think it was worth the price, mostly because there's an underlying problem usually and the sour crop is a secondary disease to that health problem. Anyway, Monistat is 20$ for 7 days, I wanted to try it.

On the second day her crop was almost flat. I fed her, in small portions.
The 3rd morning, no liquid in her crop. I gave her a bit of food and her medication, thinking we were on the right track.

That evening I noticed a bit of liquid again. The next morning, we were back with a big squishy crop.

I finished the Monistat and I'm trying Canesten now, because its a different molecule, it's a cream and it's easier to administer. I saw a couple of posts where people were having a better success with Canesten.

There's absolutely no improvement.
I need to make her vomit every morning. She's not even fighting me. I noticed a very thick liquid, yellow-orange. There was streaks of white, feed not fully digested, also very small greyish lumps (almost thought it was bugs). A bit of smell, but my nose is stuffed, hard to say if it was sour or you know? Vomit smell.

I tried some emollient this morning (not laxative). Maybe there's an impaction somewhere, in the gizzard, and it could help, but I didn't see any improvements. I don't know what happened to the crop to drain and get full again last week.

She's still very alert, very engaging, wants to fly on my shoulder, wants to eat and drink. She's just not comfortable, she's trying to move her crop. She perches at night in her cage.

I just don't know what to do with her, how to make her better, to drain that crop so it stays drained. It's been 10 days...

Any ideas?
Here's something you might find helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sour-crop-again.1501002/post-25095362

There's still no improvement for that poor girl.
The crop bra didn't help. This morning it was as big as a baseball ball ⚾. She's vomitting every time she tries to drink or eat.

I contacted the breeder. She never had that kind of problem. The hen's sister is fine.

I also called my vet. He thinks it may be incurable and it would maybe be preferable to cull her.

I'm so sad. She still has a will to live.

Back
Top Bottom