Sour Crop or Coccidisis?

ar1225

Hatching
Apr 13, 2023
Sour Crop or Coccidisis? Our last girl has been acting lethargic since yesterday. She's the only one we have left and had been in the nesting box all morning when I checked on her but she hadn't laid. She is 6. Poop is watery and kind of egg-whitish in consistency, I don't smell any sour coming from her beak and her crop feels like a mushy beanbag. She isn't panting or anything but is shaking her head every once in a while. Not sure what direction to go in?

She had a pretty dirty butt but her vent looked fine. Soaked her in some epsom to clean her feathers and put her in the sick pen in the garage. She isn't interested in food, and much quieter than normal. I withheld food from her yesterday and tried to give her scrambled eggs this morning, but she wasn't interested. I have water with ACV and rooster booster in her sick pen. Not sure where to go from here. We just lost her sister last week after a battle with bumblefoot so we are really trying to keep her healthy. Picture of her and her poop below.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 10.16.37 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 10.16.27 AM.png

What's her diet? Does she lay?
She eats organic scratch and peck supplemented with some fresh herbs and grubs. She also free-ranges around our backyard all day. She does lay, and over the last few days shes gotten a lot more treats than normally because her sister died and my daughter has been showing her love by giving her grubs, sunflower seeds and other treats.

She eats organic scratch and peck supplemented with some fresh herbs and grubs. She also free-ranges around our backyard all day. She does lay, and over the last few days shes gotten a lot more treats than normally because her sister died and my daughter has been showing her love by giving her grubs, sunflower seeds and other treats.
How much treats does she get? How did her sisters die?
Those are some strange looking poops, almost glittery, could she have gotten into some paint or glittery substance?

How much treats does she get? How did her sisters die?
Those are some strange looking poops, almost glittery, could she have gotten into some paint or glittery substance?
We think she died of a heart attack. We had been treating her for bumblefoot for over a week and caught her on the coop camera kind of panicking and flapping and then keeling over.

She had quite a few handfuls of treats over the last few days. No paint for her to get into or glitter. Her poop almost looked like an eggwhite if you look closely.

We think she died of a heart attack. We had been treating her for bumblefoot for over a week and caught her on the coop camera kind of panicking and flapping and then keeling over.

She had quite a few handfuls of treats over the last few days. No paint for her to get into or glitter. Her poop almost looked like an eggwhite if you look closely.
Hmm, is she acting egg bound? Hunched backed?

she's not walking funny, but she is laying with her neck pulled in a little, is that hunch backed?
That just means she's not feeling well, hunched back, I mean, hunched backwards, is when they kinda stand like a penguin. Have you checked her crop for abnormalities? If it feels empty, watery, doughy etc.

She’s definitely not walking like a penguin, she’s really just kind of standing or laying in her sick pen. Her crop feels like one of those stress, relief, beanbags that you squeeze in your hand, I can feel grit inside of there.

That just means she's not feeling well, hunched back, I mean, hunched backwards, is when they kinda stand like a penguin. Have you checked her crop for abnormalities? If it feels empty, watery, doughy etc.

She’s definitely not walking like a penguin, she’s really just kind of standing or laying in her sick pen. Her crop feels like one of those stress, relief, beanbags that you squeeze in your hand, I can feel grit inside of there.

Back
Top Bottom