Sour crop, red wine, what am I doing?!

peepermama

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2016
Sarasota Florida
I rescued a flock of chickens 2 weeks ago, and all were in pretty poor shape. I already lost one bird to possibly a combo of sour crop and malnutrition, but I'm not certain. I have one hen inside now and I believe she has sour crop as well. She was treated for worms on the 9th with the safe guard wormer. She came to me VERY thin, but was eating although her wattles are droopy and not nice and red. I pulled her out of the coop on Saturday because she was looking even worse and the heat has been brutal. She was eating. Last night I made her a mash of yogurt, honey, crumbles, applesauce, and electrolytes that she picked at a bit, but not a ton. This morning she still had a squishy crop even though she had only water access all night. I gave her the mash mix in the morning and she hardly ate it. She has not pooped since yesterday which was watery. I read and read today and decided to try the red wine. I gave her 3ml at 7pm and it is nearly midnight now with no results. I have taken the food and water out of the crate. I had put acv in her water last night. From what I understand I should give her the water in the morning, as that will be 12 hours without it. At what point should I give her yogurt and egg, and how much do I give her? I am not comfortable trying to make her vomit, and I don't know that it's needed as I don't feel like her crop is over full with anything. As far as smell, she stinks, but I don't know if it's her mouth, or the fact that she's been just sitting around for days and has been sitting in poop, or whatever else happens to be under her. Am I missing something? Could it be more than sour crop? These poor birds were being given half layer feed and half corn, and I suspect the layer feed had gone moldy. I really don't want to loose another bird.

This morning still a full squishy crop. I gave her water with probiotics, and a few tablespoons of yogurt. She started drinking the water, but has ignored the yogurt so far

I am sorry for the condition of your hen... Sour crop is a very unforgiving.
From my understanding, it is probably sour crop, I don't know of any other diseases so similar to what you describe.

I can see that you are doing the best you can to help her. If things don't improve I think making her vomit is neccessary. This is done by holding her upside down, massaging her crop for twenty seconds allowing her to bring it up, then put her down for a few minutes and repeat.

If you aren't confident in this I only know of one other remedy to give to her. Copper Sulphate is a common treatment for sour crop. Overdose is toxic but the correct amount can cure a hen. This is the mixture:

1/2 pound of Copper Sulphate, 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1/2 gallon of water. Add one tablespoon of this solution to a gallon of water.

I can also suggest putting crushed garlic in her water. Too little ACV can worsen the condition, the correct dosage is 2 tablespoons per gallon.

I had a Colombian Orpington cockerel that got sour crop after being given a prevention for coccidiosis - this unbalanced his natural probiotics and lead to large amounts of yeast. Unfortunately he didn't make it. On the other hand I had a Light Sussex with sour crop four years ago - she got better after I emptied her crop.

Hopefully someone else can reply with more information. I hope your hen gets better
hugs.gif

Perhaps you will find this thread useful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/613861/how-to-treat-sour-crop/30#post_17382001

Last edited:
Thanks. I took away the yogurt, hopefully withholding food for 24 hours and another dose of wine this evening may help. She is so thin and weak or don't know that she could handle the stress of trying to vomit her. I have also been massaging her crop whenever I have a chance. The acv I have been adding 2tbsp per gallon. No poop overnight either.

Last edited:
Thanks. I took away the yogurt, hopefully withholding food for 24 hours and another dose of wine this evening may help. She is so thin and weak or don't know that she could handle the stress of trying to vomit her. I have also been massaging her crop whenever I have a chance. The acv I have been adding 2tbsp per gallon. No poop overnight either.
Okay, I don't know if there is anything else you can do for her... If she isn't pooping no food is passing to the gizzard meaning she is basically starving to death. There is two main causes to sour crop - an unbalanced portion of yeast or a blockage. To me this sounds like a blockage. I don't know what else to suggest, electrolytes might help to get her energy up. If you do choose to make her vomit you can give her an anti stress treatment prior. But I agree it is quite risky.

It's odd because up until then she had been pooping, and eating as well. Ever since I took the other one out and she passed she has been worse. They were buddies, always together so I don't know if maybe loosing her friend upset her even more. Sunday was the last time she went and it was mostly runny, but she also has had very little to eat since then. I am so angry that the people we got these birds from didn't know what bad shape they were in. They are all so skinny, but these 2 have been the worst. They weren't intentionally neglectful, but they clearly had no knowledge of how to properly care for chickens, and these birds have suffered greatly for it.

It's odd because up until then she had been pooping, and eating as well. Ever since I took the other one out and she passed she has been worse. They were buddies, always together so I don't know if maybe loosing her friend upset her even more. Sunday was the last time she went and it was mostly runny, but she also has had very little to eat since then. I am so angry that the people we got these birds from didn't know what bad shape they were in. They are all so skinny, but these 2 have been the worst. They weren't intentionally neglectful, but they clearly had no knowledge of how to properly care for chickens, and these birds have suffered greatly for it.
It is common for sour crop to give them runny poop/diahrrea... I think the condition has gotten to the point where almost no food is passing and she doesn't eat because her crop probably feels very full so it is uncomfortable. In the morning, if the wether is warm, maybe you could let her out for a bit. It's all I can suggest but at least it will make her a bit less upset (separation from flock and pen stresses them). I am very grateful that you rescued the hens and are doing the best you can for them... unfortunately chickens are neglected by the oblivious. Fingers crossed for your girl. Also, does she seem to have diahrrea? If so, what colour is it?

It is definitely warm it's been in the 90s daily for some time now, as we live in South florida...I had to leave her to go to work, but I'll let her out this evening when I get home. And look into the possibility of vomiting her before we try the wine again. The last time she pooped, it was mostly liquid, but what wasn't was brownish

It is definitely warm it's been in the 90s daily for some time now, as we live in South florida...I had to leave her to go to work, but I'll let her out this evening when I get home. And look into the possibility of vomiting her before we try the wine again. The last time she pooped, it was mostly liquid, but what wasn't was brownish
Okay so not diahrrea... just runny (a sign of stress and/or lack of food). I guess you'll just have to wait and see. When I treated my Light Sussex using vomiting I put a bit of natural olive oil down the throat, it helps to get things moving.

I'm a visual person, do you know of any videos of the vomiting being done? I'm so afraid to do it, but I don't know what else to do at this point. And I feel like I am getting to the point of if I don't try she will die for sure, so what really is there to loose? I am just terrified that she will aspirate

Back
Top Bottom