Sour crop? What is it? Can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dwegg, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

HELP!!!! I think my girl has 'sour crop'? What is it? How do I fix it? She has a large squishy crop and is making funny movements. She did lay an egg today but did not get up on the roost in her spot tonight?

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Type sour crop in the box of the Google Custom Search at the upper right hand corner of this page, and you will get a lot of information on it. Much more complete than I can give you. You will also get posts regarding attempted treatments. Good luck!

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Check the crop in the morning, if it is not emptied out than that is a sign of trouble, does the breath stink? That is another sign of trouble.

Sour crop can be treated but sometimes it is a symptom of another problem rather than a problem all by it's self. Example a bird blocked up with worms will have trouble getting food from crop into digestive system, a bird with other infection or illness will be run down and digestion will slow and ability to fight off yeast type infections in crop will be compromised. So I think it is importaint to first sort out if it is sour crop then look for other problems that might have lead to it as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by