Sour crop

Thank you
It's all very upsetting. My husband is due in soon so will carry out your checks.
The poop is like an off white colour with tiny bits of a greenish solid which I thought was some food passing through.
Does the green parts of the poop look like small pellets? When poop gets to this stage, it is not good. Most sour or slow crops don't have poop that look like this, at least my birds never did. I have lost a few hens with poop that was very green and pellet like however. Either she is not eating at all, she has internal infections or something is blocking off her intestinal tract.

Keep me posted and we can still try other things on her.

Hi
She's not eaten all day, I've tried eggs, her own food mashed, yogurt,
My husband tried to put his finger up her vent- he is used to this as we had a chicken that prolapsed. But she was so distressed we had to stop.
The poop does look a bit pellet like with in the white watery stuff, but not really sure.
Shall we continue to keep her separate? We can't feel any seedlings from the outside. If you press Getty under her vent at the back of her legs she doesn't like it.
We just tried her with a bit more food, she goes to eat then after s couple of pecks she stops.
Thank you so much.

When you felt her abdomen was it really full like a water balloon? Get her abdomen in your hand and give it a good feel. It should feel fairly firm. If it is big and squishy, she definitely has water on her belly.

Usually with sour crop, the do have somewhat of an appetite. So I am thinking this is something else.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? You could try some antibiotics for the week and see if you can't clear her up for while. It will may give her some relief for a while at least. Duramycin or Amoxicillin will help with most intestinal issues like Enteritis and will also help with any E.coli in the intestines or in her body cavities if she is internally laying.

Thank you for your help.
Definitely no water on her belly.
Got no anti biotic, a visit to the vet??

Thank you for your help.
Definitely no water on her belly.
Got no anti biotic, a visit to the vet??
If you do have an avian or poultry vet, I do advise you take her there. They can do more than we can guessing from here.

You can however order meds on line if need be. I always attempt to treat all symptoms first and if the treatments don't work, I start the guessing game. But you can lose them this way. Definitely take her to a vet if you have one.

Morning.
I've managed to get Lexi to eat some watermelon this morning, she loved it. Her crop was empty, her poop is like milk.
Still not sure whether to go the vets, put her back in with the others or try to keep feeding her every hour today?

She is now eating a bit of warm Oates, still no sign of green poop, so may monitor her today.
1f642.png

Back
Top Bottom