Sour crop

I think you'd probably benefit from reading my article once more. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ It shows how to make a crop bra, easy, no sewing. And treating with miconazole anti-yeast cream is the same thing as treating your own athlete's foot with a medicated ointment which has a very similar ingredient to women's yeast cream. There is no danger, and it could save your hen's life since yeast can continue to multiply until your hen can no longer process nutrients and starves to death.

@Rhcecil, the miconazole cream will not hurt your girl, but it could very well save her life. This cream is not difficult at all to give. Just squeeze it on your index finger and she will gladly eat it. In addition to the medicine continue to massage her crop for about 20-30 minutes, or as long as you can, two or three times a day. Keeping the crop contents continuously mixed up, along with the medicine, will help your girl clear up this problem, but she needs your help to do so.

Well if she isn't acting sick I wouldn't worry...
Unfortunately, in a lot of situations, not acting sick will lead to a chicken’s demise. If left to nature it would definitely perish. However, these birds are under our care and we must act responsibly when we notice something isn’t quite right. A full crop in the morning is more than just not quite right. It is a signal that the bird is sick and needs attention from us, the caregiver.

Now could this hen get over this problem? Maybe, but probably not. And if this bird is anything at all more than livestock, she needs help from her caregiver, in order to live. This is not a difficult problem to help fix.

Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom