Sour crop

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
I swear my issues with my flock are never ending. First it's bumble foot, which I stalked up on vet wrap(awesome stuff), boric acid mix and now my Brahma has sour crop.

I'm hoping I'm doing this right! Her crop is 3-5x's the normal size the other morning, so I felt it and it was squishy. She's perky and tail up, but I did not want to wait on this. She's had sour crop 3 times as a chick, I'm assuming she prone to it. Almost dying the first time as a baby.(just on starter feed). Plus, she always threw up liquid on her own frequently until she was a year old.

Anyways, her mouth didn't smell, but I emptied part of her crop leaning her forward and the wrenchiest pukiest liquid came out, then about a dozen army worms and other nasty stuff. It smelt like gut rot. I let her be for a while and repeated the process later that day when she came up for water.

I mixed water, probios, and a little olive oil mixture and put it at the base of her beak. She did not fight me. I did that once after the first empty.

Yesterday I noticed her crop is still squishy, so I repeated the process. Yuckier stuff came out with some more worms. I repeated the mixture, but added 125mg of amoxicillian. This time she fought me with the mixture. Her crop went down to normal!

Do I try this again today? Or leave her alone. This is my 9 year old daughters bird and there are no vets near here that will look after chickens.

I don't know if she's pooping normally. It was 90 outside and the flock stayed in the cool woods until sundown.

Is sour crop a blockage? Do I need to be more worried?

Yay! No squishy crop this morning! It's fixed completely!! She pooped a ton and is back to her normal loud self!!! :D :D :D :D

They are worms that turn into moths. We usually have an infestation every other year.

It's a goldmine of endless supply of these caterpillars/worms. The hens love them.

I'm not quite sure what caused the sour crop, but I gave her another mixture of probiotics, antibiotics and less oil. She fought me the whole time. I try my best to put it at the tip of the beak while leaning her slightly forward. Last thing I need is her to aspirate and get pnemounia.

I have to try that on one of my 3 week old chicks. S/he looks to have a swollen, off-center crop. I gave it some olive oil in a syringe last night, 2x and massaged it. I'm not sure, it could've been swollen because of drinking a lot of water - when I refilled their water container, they hung around the watering hole for a few minutes....

Back
Top Bottom