Sour Crop

Thanks for all the help, still plugging away but she has been out in the coop, I put the two bullies in the inner coop and let her out with the others today and that went ok. Hope they can re-integrate soon...

The intergration shouldn't take long. To bad she is being bullied. Once she feels better and stronger, she should hold her own.

She is still out in the coop and have to separate the two bullies, which is slowly helping, she is eating well but I have to make sure she is allowed to eat, and loves the mealworms! She seems pretty happy, except she wants to be a house chicken! I gave her some more probiotics and slippery elm, her crop is still not exactly normal though, but hope it will return to normal eventually, I have not had to get the crop bra though. She is holding her own with the normal chickens but the two red sex-linked ones are really aggressive, but since I separated them they are being put in their place more by the other chickens when I do let them out with them. They all sleep together at night but still bully her the next day if I try them together.

Posting an update, if anyone is interested, because when I look at other people's threads and I don't know the outcome I always want to know, plus it can be helpful.

On organic food now Clawdene is doing ok, I think she will tend to relapse though. She is still bullied but gets out of the way and eats and is smart about it. She will always be on the low end of the pecking order. She is character and very sweet. When she was a baby I had to revive her when another chick attacked her very aggressively, she was unconscious and gave her rescue remedy and arnica.

Anyhow the Slippery Elm really helped a lot in the end, and the probiotics, and wanted to mention that in particular.

I appreciate everyone's help. The Monistat helped a lot too, despite having to do the antibiotics for the aspiration.

Hello,

I just noticed your thread, and I have a hen who has had sour crop since she was born.

Now, she is 3 years old who stays inside of our house with our 3 dogs who is her friends.
She was also bullied as much as others almost killed her.

We keep her inside so that she can't eat anything bad for her. It is little trouble to keep her inside,but I am used to it now.
She is in the large dog crate most of the time, and perch on the box in the laundry room that we set up for her to sleep.
she is out of the crate to play with the dogs sometimes.

I don't know why she is picked by others but it had been like that since she was born too.. Is that coincidence?

Last edited:
I don't think it is coincidence, I think they know. She is holding her own in there for now and that is good but definitely the low end of the totem pole. She had aspirations to be a house chicken too! But my dogs and cats are not chicken friendly! I have a dog who had two puppies we kept out of a litter of seven, and one was the runt and the mother rejected her, we had to bottle feed he. The puppy was half the size of the others and has a heart issue, to this day the mother ignores that dog, but plays with the other puppy. Glad that you have a happy house chicken, love the profile pic!

Last edited:
I think so too. But, in the same time, I wonder why they do pick on the one who is the weakest? Does it happen, even though there are some roosters among the group? I am little curious.

I have 3 dogs, and the one is a White Shepherd ( male) and new comer and very careless to the chickens. So I put him in the crate when the chickens are free in the house.
The other 2 dogs who is 5 and 6 years old are very friendly. The one is on the picture is 6 years old. He is funny. :)
This didn't happen from beginning. The dogs are too wild to them when we brought and kept them inside. They were too curious to the chickens.
So, I have put the dogs in a crate when the chickens were out, then I have put the chickens in the other crate when the dogs are free for 4 months or so. Then the dogs got known the chickens as their family.

Although you have a lot of dogs!! Wow, you must be handful!! It is very nice environment for children, I wonder? :)

I hope you will find the solution that fits in your life style!

Just an update that Clawdene is doing really well, she did relapse once and did the Sour Crop capsules and some more of the Monistat for 3 days and she was ok, we moved and she is free-ranging now in a large run and that is better for her I think too. Have to keep an eye on her as she does have some degree of Pendulous Crop but she looks good.

We have the three dogs with us now that are mine (getting a divorce) and they are very kid friendly, just not chicken friendly!

Back
Top Bottom