1. shoechickens

shoechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    my chick has sour crop I keep emptying,but she it getting really skinny:( please help!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry about your sick chick. [​IMG]What are her droppings like? If her crop keeps filling up, and she is getting skinny, one thought is that she has an impacted gizzard. Unfortunately, there is no good treatment for that: all you can do is try giving her some olive oil and see if the blockage breaks up.

Of course, it is still possible that her problem is just sour crop, so don't give up yet. One treatment that works for some birds with sour crop is using an anti-fungal medication, like Monistat. Other things to do is give her plenty of probiotics, and keep emptying her crop.

Other than that, though, I'm not sure what else you could do. I don't have personal experience with a major sour crop. I did have one hen who was prone to the problem, but her cases always cleared up with a few days of extra probiotics. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgeable about sour crop comes along and helps you.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. abgraves69

abgraves69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2014
    FL
    I'm sorry your chick is sick? What is sour crop? I'm still new to this.

4. shoechickens

shoechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    Thanks for the reply,crossed fingers she makes it through the night:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by