Sour or impacted crop

I am really sorry to hear about Lizzie not being well, and possibly dying. Many use the cervical dislocation or broomstick method for putting down a chicken. Some cut the jugular vein from which they will bleed out in a minute if hanging by the feet or upside down in a killing cone. There is the hatchet method as well for decapitation. Some use engine starting fluid that contains ether, an anesthetic, on a cloth in a large box. If your vet euthanizes her, they may also do a necropsy for you to look for what was wrong.

HI All,
Last week as I was giving my 3-4 year old Wyandotte hen a once over cause she was acting as if she didn't feel well, I discovered that when I picked her up that she spurted a bunch of bad smelling fluid from her crop...it was not mucous and after a few attempts to clear her crop, I found that there was some residual carrot pieces expelled (but I hadn't given them carrots for a few days). Also made sure there was ACV in the water and made available fresh oregano. She began acting better, but today she is sulking again (fluffed out and just standing around). She does have diarrhea I'm pretty sure. And I don't think she's laying. What's your take on it? Sour Crop? I can't figure out how to post this question anywhere so sorry if this is in a weird location.

Thanks, Vickery

HI All,
Last week as I was giving my 3-4 year old Wyandotte hen a once over cause she was acting as if she didn't feel well, I discovered that when I picked her up that she spurted a bunch of bad smelling fluid from her crop...it was not mucous and after a few attempts to clear her crop, I found that there was some residual carrot pieces expelled (but I hadn't given them carrots for a few days). Also made sure there was ACV in the water and made available fresh oregano. She began acting better, but today she is sulking again (fluffed out and just standing around). She does have diarrhea I'm pretty sure. And I don't think she's laying. What's your take on it? Sour Crop? I can't figure out how to post this question anywhere so sorry if this is in a weird location.

Thanks, Vickery
It does sound like sour crop. Here is a link to posting a new thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/create-thread

Access to grit is always good for digestion - it helps prevent crop issues, but once there is already a problem with the crop, grit won't help and could actually add to the blockage. The blockage, or bacterial growth (sour crop) needs to be cleared whilst only feeding soft foods - easily digestible. Once the crop is functioning again, grit should be kept available at all times.

Access to grit is always good for digestion - it helps prevent crop issues, but once there is already a problem with the crop, grit won't help and could actually add to the blockage. The blockage, or bacterial growth (sour crop) needs to be cleared whilst only feeding soft foods - easily digestible. Once the crop is functioning again, grit should be kept available at all times.
Okay, thank you for saying this as I was unsure!

Back
Top Bottom