Source for US made dried mealworms?

deacons

Songster
Oct 8, 2013
New Hampshire
I've been trying to find some US sourced dried mealworms and keep coming up, well, dry. Seems like every brand is made in China.

I have read a bit about growing your own, and will tackle that in the spring when it's easier to get things set up. But in the interim, are there any brands that you've found?

On some sites, I've seen "Tasty Mealworms" mentioned as US made, but that doesn't seem consistent.

I would suggest looking into dried black soldier flies as an alternative to mealworms. I searched all over for USA dried mealworms with no luck. Apparently, it is something that is so dirt cheap to import, that there just isn't a US market for them. The black soldier flies are a great option. Chickens love these just as much and they are around the same price. Might be something to think about if US made is important to you. http://tastyworms.com/dried-black-soldier-fly-larvae.html

Thanks everyone. I have read a lot of online recommendations for the soldier fly larvae, and I think that's what I'll do because there just does not seem to be a US mealworm option (aside from growing them on your own, which I may try in the spring).

Does the Tastyworms company not grow their own mealworms in the U.S.? Maybe I just presumed they did from reading their website. I wonder about the extra grain product used in the packaging of the soldier fly larvae, and how much it constitutes of the total amount you are buying.

Back
Top Bottom