Source for US made dried mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by deacons, Jan 19, 2015.

1. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I've been trying to find some US sourced dried mealworms and keep coming up, well, dry. Seems like every brand is made in China.

I have read a bit about growing your own, and will tackle that in the spring when it's easier to get things set up. But in the interim, are there any brands that you've found?

On some sites, I've seen "Tasty Mealworms" mentioned as US made, but that doesn't seem consistent.

2. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Thanks, Matt. Those are definitely made in China.

3. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    What is the problem with ones from China? I feed dried mealworms and never noticed where they're from so now I'm concerned. If they're USDA approved I thought they were OK.

1 person likes this.
  4. Honey Maid

Honey Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    State of Jefferson
    Now-A-Days I am leery of anything that is "USDA Approved"

If the Made in China dog treats are killing dogs, I wont feed, or eat anything myself, 'Made in China'

5. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire

Yep, this is pretty much the reason I'm looking for a U.S. made product. Anyone have a recommendation?

6. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    We decided to use black soldier fly larvae from Tastyworms.com. They're produced in the US, are 38% protein, and the hens love them. Plus, the folks at tastyworms.com provide great service! Our concern, like yours, was any product coming out of China.

7. goldfishes

goldfishes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    WV
    I would suggest looking into dried black soldier flies as an alternative to mealworms. I searched all over for USA dried mealworms with no luck. Apparently, it is something that is so dirt cheap to import, that there just isn't a US market for them. The black soldier flies are a great option. Chickens love these just as much and they are around the same price. Might be something to think about if US made is important to you. http://tastyworms.com/dried-black-soldier-fly-larvae.html

1 person likes this.
  8. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Thanks everyone. I have read a lot of online recommendations for the soldier fly larvae, and I think that's what I'll do because there just does not seem to be a US mealworm option (aside from growing them on your own, which I may try in the spring).

9. texsuze

texsuze Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Does the Tastyworms company not grow their own mealworms in the U.S.? Maybe I just presumed they did from reading their website. I wonder about the extra grain product used in the packaging of the soldier fly larvae, and how much it constitutes of the total amount you are buying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by