South Carolina

Wow lots of chicks this morning.. They are hatching left and right.. As I was getting ready for work I snapped a couple of pictures to share... :)

Snoozing after a long night :)

I'll post more pictures soon.. Total 11 hatched and 2 more pipped.. So happy I tried hatching again :)
Still trying to read and catch up!
Cute babies! Yippee on the hatch!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Love the baby pictures! My favorite elementary school memory was hatching baby quails for science class.
Quote: I meant to say welcome before, just never got to it. So, WELCOME!

There are quite a few chicken owners near you, like Teresa said before. You should come up to April's place in the morning and meet us. We will be there around 10 am or so.
April and her family own Blueberry Hill right there at Paris Mountain State Park and we buy her most delicious blueberries and we will be yakking all about chickens and ducks, I am sure! Teresa and April both have gotten some eggs/chicks from me and we love to talk! And April has several pens of chickens and ducks.
I grew up there 2 blocks from Paris Elementary school before they tore it down to improve it. Raised in the Piedmont Park Methodist Church there in the crossroads. Rode horses around Pebble Creek when it was a small pebble of a community back in the 70's.
Now I reside in the middle of nowhere with a nice farm.

Hope you can make it to April's place. If not in the morning, then go soon while blueberries are still in season. They are super sweet this year!

And this invite goes out to any of you that woudl like to come out for April's blueberries. There will be muffins and hot coffee while it lasts! Which, actually, by the time I get there figure it will be gone.

I wanted to say hello and say I think I am pretty close to you! I have a Greenvill addy but am close to Taylors as well. I live off of State Park Rd. I just started with chickens - some Silkies we hatched from Nikki and some others from Amy plus some guineas from Amys eggs too.

Hope to meet some of u other fabulous chicken ladies soon!

Love your avatar, Jami! Wish you had time to join us in the morning but I understand your busy schedule. You are super mom!
thumbsup.gif

I'd love to stop in but my mom is coming down from Chesnee to do some shopping. I didn't know there was a blueberry farm so close. I moved to Greenville from Charlotte about 5-6 years ago, but have only lived with my BF on this side of town since Thanksgiving. I'm a bit of a homebody so I'm rather clueless to where stuff is in and around town. Is April's place open everyday or just weekends? I have a fantastic recipe for making frozen, ready-to-bake blueberry muffins. I'd like to put a couple more dozen in the freezer before the season ends.

Its great that there's chick & egg exchanging going on! If I ever need new additions, its nice to know I don't have to order 25 at a time. (I fear the 'chicken math'...LOL) I ordered from McMurray because my mom had a credit from some shipping casualties she had last year. I got a variety of chicks: EE's, Delaware, Minorca, Cuckoo Maran, and Black Australops - was going for a crazy looking egg assortment. I love silkies though! My mom raised them for a while, but strictly for meat - which I found ridiculous considering their size - but according to Chinese medicine their black skins & bones have some medicinal property.
hmm.png
I thought they were just the cutest, craziest little birds.

I meant to say welcome before, just never got to it.  So, WELCOME!

There are quite a few chicken owners near you, like Teresa said before. You should come up to April's place in the morning and meet us. We will be there around 10 am or so.
April and her family own Blueberry Hill right there at Paris Mountain State Park and we buy her most delicious blueberries and we will be yakking all about chickens and ducks, I am sure! Teresa and April both have gotten some eggs/chicks from me and we love to talk! And April has several pens of chickens and ducks.
I grew up there 2 blocks from Paris Elementary school before they tore it down to improve it. Raised in the Piedmont Park Methodist Church there in the crossroads. Rode horses around Pebble Creek when it was a small pebble of a community back in the 70's.
Now I reside in the middle of nowhere with a nice farm.

Hope you can make it to April's place. If not in the morning, then go soon while blueberries are still in season. They are super sweet this year!

And this invite goes out to any of you that woudl like to come out for April's blueberries. There will be muffins and hot coffee while it lasts! Which, actually, by the time I get there figure it will be gone.

I even think Lou Ann is going to joing us for a short while before she goes to get her hair cut. She really wantsto meet the person who gathered the egs the new babies came from!

I'd love to stop in but my mom is coming down from Chesnee to do some shopping. I didn't know there was a blueberry farm so close. I moved to Greenville from Charlotte about 5-6 years ago, but have only lived with my BF on this side of town since Thanksgiving. I'm a bit of a homebody so I'm rather clueless to where stuff is in and around town. Is April's place open everyday or just weekends? I have a fantastic recipe for making frozen, ready-to-bake blueberry muffins. I'd like to put a couple more dozen in the freezer before the season ends.

Its great that there's chick & egg exchanging going on! If I ever need new additions, its nice to know I don't have to order 25 at a time. (I fear the 'chicken math'...LOL) I ordered from McMurray because my mom had a credit from some shipping casualties she had last year. I got a variety of chicks: EE's, Delaware, Minorca, Cuckoo Maran, and Black Australops - was going for a crazy looking egg assortment. I love silkies though! My mom raised them for a while, but strictly for meat - which I found ridiculous considering their size - but according to Chinese medicine their black skins & bones have some medicinal property.
hmm.png
I thought they were just the cutest, craziest little birds.

Awww! We will miss meeting you. Sorry you won;t get to make it. You are only about 4-5 miles or so from April's place, probably.
I definitely hear you about being a homebody. I can go days and never leave the farm and not even notice. But let me have errands every day and I feel wore out.
lol.png
Not that I don't love going to see all my friends but just something about being away from home and "my" little world makes me tired. Okay, the farm makes me tired, too.
I am not sure about April's hours but she has a FB page with the info. I think she is open most days except for Sunday. Blueberry season will be gone before we know it and we will all be sad.
I am sure there are a lot of wonderful recipes we have yet to try or want to try again. I know we ate so many just every time we opened the fridge! Could not help it!

The only thing about ordering form a hatchery is they are more likely to send you pullets instead of st run with a lot of roos. I sell st run only on chicks, when I sell any. I am about tired of hatching and cleaning so I am backing off to hatching out only about a dz a week now. That 30 a week was starting to bother me with all the cleaning.
I do love the Silkies. They are some funny critters. I only have a few myself and don't really raise them. I add them to my Sizzle pens for color and fun.
I'm with you! The Silkies do not have enough meat on them for me and I do not care for the taste of the meat. I know they are used for medicinal reasons. I prefer some of my other breeds for eating and I suppose I did not prepare the Silkies correctly or cook them to serve a medicinal purpose. But to each their own, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom