South Carolina

Just reebok

Chirping
7 Years
May 16, 2012
Columbia, South Carolina
I am sans kids and hubby here tonight and I have just been screaming my head off! Die-hard gamecock fan here. Can't help but be when are raised here in Columbia by 2 USC alumni parents. Soooooo thrilled! GO COCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carlsaSC

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
You might check with Orangeburg Milling Company to see if they have any dealers in your area. I'm in Columbia, and my chicken source also stocks the OMC Feeds.

WestKnollAmy

The Crazy Chicken Lady
Apr 22, 2008
upstate SC
So what are my feed options in the Greenville area? I was getting my feed from TSC, but I know there are two feed stores in TR. Any local milling companies? I'd prefer to support local business vs. the big chains whenever possible.

Not sure if this has been answered yet or by anyone else that goes where I do but I get grain from the local mill that is just 6 miles from my farm. It is right at Campobello and is a Mom and Pop set up that has been running for many, many years. I have been buying from them for several years and their prices are very reasonable.
My hens/ducks lay well and my chicks/ducklings do well though I always add extra vitamins. They do not make sporting bird starter (27%) though so the turkeys and keets are on Southern States brand that I buy up in Landrum at The Hay Rack. I also will occasionally buy the Rockin Rooster there when I get lazy and don't mix my own whole grains but that is winter food. Summers they have the whole farm to find their own grains and bugs.

Come up sometime and I will take you over to Williams grain mill and you can see all my birds here on the farm.

My birds have always turned up their noses at Dumor brand and they like Purina okay but I don't the price.

leirob007

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Upstate South Carolina
Should have made a post.. Some of us ( like me ) are eaten alive with chicks.
I would have been glad to help you out.
I have 100 or more RIR chicks ( pick an age ) needing a home.( I ain;t bragging but I have not seen any anywhere any prettier )
Barred Rocks from 2 months to 5 months needing homes.
1 dozen or so production reds ( about 6 weeks old ) needing a home.
13 guineas 5 weeks old needing a home.
6 guineas a week old needing a home.
even about 4 RIR laying hens I am going to pull out of my flock that are about 1 year old.
need chicks or want quality RIR's contact me. I'm loaded for bear and can hatch on demand.
and I'm less then 30 miles from you down 215 below Spartanburg.

Hi everyone! I've been lurking since I inherited a half dozen RIR's from my mom last summer. Two weeks ago a raccoon (I think) wiped out my mini flock over the course of a week. Totally my fault, we were in the process of moving and the chickens were slated last to go. I think the lack of people & dog smells probably made them bold. Of course I'm totally addicted to having chickens, so I ordered 25 assorted chicks which are due July 9th. This will be my first time brooding any chicks and I'm super excited/nervous. I'll be building a new coop from scratch as well. (Our last coop was a Rubbermaid mower shed that was being thrown out. It worked great, but way too small for 25.)

Anyway, its nice to know there's an active community in SC. I don't know anyone who keeps chickens and other people seem to think I'm kind of nutty for raising chickens in 'burbia. (Except when I have a surplus of eggs, then I'm a freakin' genius!) We're not zoned R-anything, so technically I guess we're not supposed to have chickens. Where we live now is actually zones Industrial. Has anyone else living in a non-rural zone had a run in with authorities?

BTW, I'm in Greenville, close to Taylors.

leirob007

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Upstate South Carolina
I notice how people set so much store by what is written.
I am going to use just reebok as an example here ( sorry about this )
When we first discussed Chickens over the phone. and I asked what made her lean more to the barred rocks over the rhode island reds.
the answer was simple and straight. rhode island reds are written up as being aggressive and the barred rock reviews omit that.
well that is on paper.
toss a tomato in the coop and see who gets it.
the barred rocks half the age of the rhode island red layers will get the prizes every time.
they earn it too. those rhode island reds don't just look at it and say " you can have it "
so much for what is in print.
but I have to say this. that batch of barred rocks that just reebok got one of the pullets out of. is the most loveable batch of chicks I ever did raise.
I put the rest of them ( except 5 more of the pullets I sold ) in with the rest of the chickens. and they get out and come stand on my shoes when I'm at the fence looking at my chickens

Just reebok

Chirping
7 Years
May 16, 2012
Columbia, South Carolina
I will say Leirob007 what your roo is very ver beautiful and such a friendly, well behaved gentleman. I absolutely would not mind having one or two RIR's one day when I finally get some land and can have a menagerie . :)

EggieRowe

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Greenville, South Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
Should have made a post.. Some of us ( like me ) are eaten alive with chicks.
I would have been glad to help you out.
I have 100 or more RIR chicks ( pick an age ) needing a home.( I ain;t bragging but I have not seen any anywhere any prettier )
Barred Rocks from 2 months to 5 months needing homes.
1 dozen or so production reds ( about 6 weeks old ) needing a home.
13 guineas 5 weeks old needing a home.
6 guineas a week old needing a home.
even about 4 RIR laying hens I am going to pull out of my flock that are about 1 year old.
need chicks or want quality RIR's contact me. I'm loaded for bear and can hatch on demand.
and I'm less then 30 miles from you down 215 below Spartanburg.

I wish I had thought to ask/look on here before I ordered! I loved the hens I got from my mom - they were RIRs. She didn't handle them much, so when I first got them I bought into the whole aggressive bit. Granted part of my original view was based on them attacking my toes because I wore flip flops into their pen - smart right? In hindsight they must have looked like some juicy grubs. But they mellowed out pretty quickly once I made a point to hang out with them daily. Plus nothing helped me forget a rough day at work like a cold beer and helping them scratch around their pen for bugs.

EggieRowe

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Greenville, South Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
Not sure if this has been answered yet or by anyone else that goes where I do but I get grain from the local mill that is just 6 miles from my farm. It is right at Campobello and is a Mom and Pop set up that has been running for many, many years. I have been buying from them for several years and their prices are very reasonable.
My hens/ducks lay well and my chicks/ducklings do well though I always add extra vitamins. They do not make sporting bird starter (27%) though so the turkeys and keets are on Southern States brand that I buy up in Landrum at The Hay Rack. I also will occasionally buy the Rockin Rooster there when I get lazy and don't mix my own whole grains but that is winter food. Summers they have the whole farm to find their own grains and bugs.

Come up sometime and I will take you over to Williams grain mill and you can see all my birds here on the farm.

My birds have always turned up their noses at Dumor brand and they like Purina okay but I don't the price.

I wonder if that's where my mom & her BF were getting their feed. They gave me a bag when I first inherited their birds, but it had no label - just a plain white, woven plastic sack. I asked them where they got it, but they didn't remember the name and offered to just go buy it for me when I needed it. Only they won't let me give them money or pay them back for stuff, ever. To avoid the situation, I just got my feed from TSC because it was the only place I knew about early on. They said it was a little ways from where they are in Chesnee - some reason I think it was Campobello...

Top Bottom