South Carolina

Disclaimer: Feel free to skip over post. I need to vent!!
I'm angry with ppl whom call on a Saturday morning at 8am bc they just have to have a bird. Then, don't follow through!! Or the person who calls you on your lunch break, wastes 30 mins of your time, claims they will call you after work, then not. And what abt the e-mail leads that go dead? The email will read, "call me asap. I want a silkie really bad. Ill drive up there today." Im beginning to loose faith in ppl. Again, be considerate of others. I find my spare time limited, and valuable. So, please have respect for others. Serious replies only. Don't waste ppl's time. You are ruining it for me - arg
The end
**i feel better now.

Sorry about upsetting you today. It was not my intention. The other phone call I made for one called me back first, so I went and met with her. I truly did not mean to offend at all. I the future, I will be very careful to call back and more considerate. It's a good lesson learned. Again... Sorry.

Sorry about upsetting you today. It was not my intention. The other phone call I made for one called me back first, so I went and met with her. I truly did not mean to offend at all. I the future, I will be very careful to call back and more considerate. It's a good lesson learned. Again... Sorry.

No worries. I was venting abt a few incidents all occurring in ONE day. And it's ok to shop around. I just feel that when u r buying a car, u use one car salesman. Or, when u buy a house, u use one realtor ;) Glad u got your silkies.

Disclaimer: Feel free to skip over post. I need to vent!!
I'm angry with ppl whom call on a Saturday morning at 8am bc they just have to have a bird. Then, don't follow through!! Or the person who calls you on your lunch break, wastes 30 mins of your time, claims they will call you after work, then not. And what abt the e-mail leads that go dead? The email will read, "call me asap. I want a silkie really bad. Ill drive up there today." Im beginning to loose faith in ppl. Again, be considerate of others. I find my spare time limited, and valuable. So, please have respect for others. Serious replies only. Don't waste ppl's time. You are ruining it for me - arg
The end
**i feel better now.
Maybe it is something in the air. I have had a similar situation with 3 different people the past couple of weeks. Said they really wanted the chickens I advertised but kept putting me off on a pick up. I am always happy to work with peoples schedules. I was beginning to wonder if someone was bad mouthing me or my chickens. I have always tried to be more than fair. If someone lost chicks or chickens, I have tried to replace them. It does happen occasionally no matter how healthy the birds are because they get switched to a different
environment----different germs, parasites, plus the stress of moving and new pecking order. Oh well, I may have to put a few more orpingtons in the freezer.

Last edited:
It happens all the time and we learn from our mistakes.
We know how it feels to be on one side so we try to be considerate when on the other side.

I can't understand when it happens from the same people over and over again though. I have gotten really tired of those folks but thankfully, they are few and far between and I no longer waste my time on them.

There is two sides to every story and your venting helps us learn what to do to when dealing with others. I am sure I have aggravated quite a few folks in the past myself.

Actually, yes, it is the time of the year, Mary!
Everyone has been hatching all summer, making their selections from all that on what they want to keep for themselves and are now able to sell the rest. This, in turn, has flooded the market enough that buyers have more selections.
wink.png

I have been doing this so long that now when someone calls me they had better come when they say or I sell to the next person. I have not, praise the Lord, had a loss of customers calling me and wanting to buy birds. I schedule people usually when there is one after the other on days that suit me. I no longer bend over backwards to suit buyers. There is always someone else wanting what I am offering. Most often there are too many wanting what I am offering! Another praise!

I used to breed to have pullets available in the spring but it ticked me off when some only wanted to pay a nominal price for them. I had to go through my books and remember that the birds that did sell were for the price I asked and not to get side tracked with those that complained about the price. I now have to laugh at them because they are silly to expect me to feed a growing bird through the winter when there aren't many bugs and then not charge a decent fee for my time and expense. I am, however, exasperated in trying to explain it to them all over and over and now understand why older folks are abrupt and grumpy.

You are one of the lucky ones, Mary! You get to eat your meaty birds and enjoy the fruits of your labor if they don't sell. I feel bad for the people and the birds that are extras and they have no where to move them and do not eat them and the birds become over crowded or go to a home that isn't fit. I am not putting off on those of you who do not eat your birds, I am just saying I see the outcome for mine and Mary's as a better situation. I feel really bad about all those extra Silkie roos I do not need and no one seems to want to spend much money to purchase, if any. I hope those I get rid of do go to great homes.

Maybe it is something in the air.  I have had a similar situation with 3 different people the past couple of weeks.   Said they really wanted the chickens I advertised but kept putting me off on a pick up.  I am always happy to work with peoples schedules.  I was beginning to wonder if someone was bad mouthing me or my chickens.  I have always tried to be more than fair.  If someone lost chicks or chickens, I have tried to replace them.   It does happen occasionally no matter how healthy the birds are because they get switched to a different
environment----different germs, parasites, plus the stress of moving and new pecking order.     Oh well, I may have to put a few more orpingtons in the freezer.

I am one person who can vouch for you being more than fair. You went did more than you had to when the Orp chick died. And the Orps you replaced it with are gorgeous. Maybe some people just get caught up in the idea of a new chicken without making sure it is okay with the other family member, yet do not think they should call the seller back. They forget most sellers live at home with a life of their own!

Is the rest of the state getting this rain? Hope everyone is managing to keep things dry. My chickens have been standing in water more than once in the last few days.
barnie.gif

On another note, I have created a monster--or a few monsters! I used my Coral Blue guinea pen as a grow-up pen for roosters this summer(with the guineas still in it) and now that I have turned the Blues out to free range they are mean! I actually asked my husband if he needed to target practice with his shotgun yesterday as they are beating up my Australorp roos. I have plenty of Blues in the grow-up pen to replace them. He did not take me up on it though. I have never had a male guinea turn out mean like that before and I knew it was because I had not raised any with chickens--I knew better!
he.gif
But guinea and dumplings is a pretty good dish on a rainy day!

Is the rest of the state getting this rain? Hope everyone is managing to keep things dry. My chickens have been standing in water more than once in the last few days.
barnie.gif

On another note, I have created a monster--or a few monsters! I used my Coral Blue guinea pen as a grow-up pen for roosters this summer(with the guineas still in it) and now that I have turned the Blues out to free range they are mean! I actually asked my husband if he needed to target practice with his shotgun yesterday as they are beating up my Australorp roos. I have plenty of Blues in the grow-up pen to replace them. He did not take me up on it though. I have never had a male guinea turn out mean like that before and I knew it was because I had not raised any with chickens--I knew better!
he.gif
But guinea and dumplings is a pretty good dish on a rainy day!
My guineas have been either raised by chickens or with chickens. I have a couple of male guineas that just like to pick on the chickens, especially the roos. They seem to be worse in the late afternoon when they get bored and are about ready to coop up. I have threatened to stew up the worse guinea male but he ignores me.
he.gif
Even the females will sometimes bully the chickens. If they get to bad, I let the chickens and guinea alternate being out to free range.

Back
Top Bottom