South Carolina

If you had the right roos I would take them. I have 3 Pekin ducks YOU can have. I want to eat them, but DW won't let me.
rant.gif

That's how I ended up with a house chicken. My BF won't let me eat Peepers even though I am 99.9% sure he's a roo. He won't even use the male pronoun when referring to him, as if that will someone change it. Part of me thinks it's cute, but part of me...well...
smack.gif
My mistake for patching the poor thing up instead of culling it after the flock attacked it.

I started 5 new breeds this year. HRIR, Leghorns, LB's, HDelawares and GLW. Going to keep 2 or 3 roos per breed for breeding. The rest I will sell or eat. Either way. I process roos and hens. Doesn't bother me at all. It's over in less than 1 second.

But if anybody in the upstate WANTS 3 Pekins you can come and get them. FREE!! I need the room for these chickens.

That's how I ended up with a house chicken. My BF won't let me eat Peepers even though I am 99.9% sure he's a roo. He won't even use the male pronoun when referring to him, as if that will someone change it. Part of me thinks it's cute, but part of me...well...
smack.gif
My mistake for patching the poor thing up instead of culling it after the flock attacked it.

I hear yea. DW don't care if we eat the chickens. Not sure her thoughts on the ducks though. I guess because she don't like duck. I love it!

So you want my roos to eat? That is fine by me ... I just don't want to eat them! Maybe I could trade you for or pay you for your processed chickens! Lol! I just don't want to eat my own! Of course the bantams are prob not ideal for eating???
I started 5 new breeds this year. HRIR, Leghorns, LB's, HDelawares and GLW. Going to keep 2 or 3 roos per breed for breeding. The rest I will sell or eat. Either way. I process roos and hens. Doesn't bother me at all. It's over in less than 1 second. But if anybody in the upstate WANTS 3 Pekins you can come and get them. FREE!! I need the room for these chickens.

Last edited:
So you want my roos to eat? That is fine by me ... I just don't want to eat them! Maybe I could trade you for or pay you for your processed chickens! Lol! I just don't want to eat my own! Of course the bantams are prob not ideal for eating???

I don't really think bantams would be worth the time to process really. That would be like eating a 2 month old HRIR. LOL. But maybe a meal for one person. LOL

I started 5 new breeds this year. HRIR, Leghorns, LB's, HDelawares and GLW. Going to keep 2 or 3 roos per breed for breeding. The rest I will sell or eat. Either way. I process roos and hens. Doesn't bother me at all. It's over in less than 1 second.
How are those Delawares coming along? Out of my seven I have a real good feeling about two. One with unbelievably yellow legs and one that is nearly twice the size of the others and good comb development. Really hoping it's a roo since it's super sweet. They're all actually pretty calm and sweet. I've seriously considered phasing out most of my other chickens for these. Even the two hatchery Delies I have will let me pick them up without a fuss. All the others are a giant PITA when I need to hold them!

Forgot to mention they're even sharing a brooder with my couple day old chicks and no abuse or bullying. (Another reason I need to downsize the adult flock - some of them are just vicious to chicks.)

Last edited:
How are those Delawares coming along? Out of my seven I have a real good feeling about two. One with unbelievably yellow legs and one that is nearly twice the size of the others and good comb development. Really hoping it's a roo since it's super sweet. They're all actually pretty calm and sweet. I've seriously considered phasing out most of my other chickens for these. Even the two hatchery Delies I have will let me pick them up without a fuss. All the others are a giant PITA when I need to hold them!

Forgot to mention they're even sharing a brooder with my couple day old chicks and no abuse or bullying. (Another reason I need to downsize the adult flock - some of them are just vicious to chicks.)

Mine are coming along very well. Getting very BIG!! I may have a lot of roos. As for the legs, I don't seem to have any with yellow legs. There all pretty greenish color.
idunno.gif
Will really have to work on that. May have to get a roo with yellow legs to breed with these. I heard that is one of the hardest issues with Delawares. Even though Paul says he doesn't breed for show. Breeds large Dellies. Which is actually why I went with him. Because these are going to be one of my dual purpose breeds. Keep some for breeding, eating and selling. As for tameness, well, I can't raise a tame chicken to save my life. I guess it's because I never ever hold them. There fine as far as me being in there as are my others, but as far as picking them up forget it. NONE of my 80 chickens liked to be picked up. Which is fine with me. I love all my chickens but I do raise them to eat. So I actually don't want to get to close to them. I have one roo and a hen I probably will keep forever. Got to close to them. I breed all my chickens for a purpose. Once they can't fill that purpose, well time for the freezer.
idunno.gif
Fact of life on this little farm.

Mine are coming along very well. Getting very BIG!! I may have a lot of roos. As for the legs, I don't seem to have any with yellow legs. There all pretty greenish color.
idunno.gif
Will really have to work on that. May have to get a roo with yellow legs to breed with these. I heard that is one of the hardest issues with Delawares. Even though Paul says he doesn't breed for show. Breeds large Dellies. Which is actually why I went with him. Because these are going to be one of my dual purpose breeds. Keep some for breeding, eating and selling. As for tameness, well, I can't raise a tame chicken to save my life. I guess it's because I never ever hold them. There fine as far as me being in there as are my others, but as far as picking them up forget it. NONE of my 80 chickens liked to be picked up. Which is fine with me. I love all my chickens but I do raise them to eat. So I actually don't want to get to close to them. I have one roo and a hen I probably will keep forever. Got to close to them. I breed all my chickens for a purpose. Once they can't fill that purpose, well time for the freezer.
idunno.gif
Fact of life on this little farm.

Did your chicks start out with yellow legs? I didn't take pictures of mine when they were younger, but I swear they were more yellow then and all but one are becoming dull. Nothing I'd call out right green, like on my EE's, but maybe they're on their way? I'm focusing on them for dual purpose too, but I like that they just seem naturally tamer than my other chickens. I don't spend any time trying to tame them either. I provide them with loving care, but they are not pets. Even the Delaware chicks are more relaxed than my previous hatchery chicks and the one Australorp that hatched with them. (That little bugger runs up and bites me every time I top off their food or water!)

Back
Top Bottom