South Carolina

If the wing feathers were hard to pluck then you either didn't have the water hot enough or didn't keep him in the water enough. Water should be 150 degrees. Keep dunking them until the wing feathers pull out easy. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to pluck a bird.

This was my first time plucking a bird, normally we just skin them. I believe the water wasn't hot enough, I think it was about 130. Oh well, it was a learning experience :) we're going to butcher most if not all of our 3 year old wyandotte hens shortly, I'll have plenty more to practice on shortly ;)

If one person is doing all the processing, as I suspect I will be, is it better to complete each chicken one at a time? Or is there a more efficient one person strategy? At best I might be able to get someone to pluck. I think I'm going to process my first chicken, unsupervised, start to finish this weekend. It's been a few years since I've done one and I always had someone helping me.

Update on how the 3 year old rooster tastes: we let him age in the fridge around 5 days, left him in the crock pot with broth and seasoning allll day yesterday. The result? Tender, extremely dark meat that tastes almost exactly like roast beef! He's delicious!

Gaston, SC here...Prolly 20 minutes out of Columbia. My chickens were given to me. I was told they were RIRs. Looks like I got a couple of EEs in the bunch, they're muffed but not bearded. Cute. look a bit like hawks. Haven't started laying yet, so I'm just not sure. Only one of my rhodies has started to lay and she's an egg a day for the past 3 days. I have 7 hens and 4 roos, so I'm looking to find spaces for the mix EE roo and a RIR roo. I don't mind a mutt chicken either since our goal here is grasshopper control, eggs, and interesting pets. Though I sure love looking at the pics of the beauties on this site!

Shelly

Gaston, SC here...Prolly 20 minutes out of Columbia. My chickens were given to me. I was told they were RIRs. Looks like I got a couple of EEs in the bunch, they're muffed but not bearded. Cute. look a bit like hawks. Haven't started laying yet, so I'm just not sure. Only one of my rhodies has started to lay and she's an egg a day for the past 3 days. I have 7 hens and 4 roos, so I'm looking to find spaces for the mix EE roo and a RIR roo. I don't mind a mutt chicken either since our goal here is grasshopper control, eggs, and interesting pets. Though I sure love looking at the pics of the beauties on this site!

Shelly
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom