South Carolina

My Spangled Thai pair. They're getting so big! The rooster still has a pitiful crow.

Movable coop I built recently for them. It took a lot of work, but I am incredibly happy with the result, and the birds seem to like it too. They learned how to use the ramp within minutes of being in there. The chicken shape in the door is actually a window I cut out, with wire behind it.

Slightly dusty silkie hen.

And, of course, lots of turkeys. Thinking about killing a young tom for thanksgiving. We killed 11 birds last weekend, two roosters and nine older wyandotte hens who were not laying much anymore. They were all loaded with fat and actually cleaned out pretty decently for their age. We plucked the largest, youngest rooster and skinned the rest. They were easy to process, now a big ol' turkey may be a different story. It will certainly be an experience.

And I love your turkeys!!
smile.png
As soon as I get ready of 3 dogs, going to use there metal pen and going to get 3 turkeys next spring to raise just for eating. I see you have some Leghorns? Can't beat them for egg production. Have 3 hens and a cockerel in a breeding pen right now. Will start to hatch some Leghorn chicks next week. The Reds are my favorite. Well besides the Delawares. The Reds I think are the prettiest, the Delawares are the most friendliest bird ever!

I went to the Bantam Show yesterday. And one of the judges are coming over this morning to tell me about my Reds. Going to help me select the best hens for breeding this year.

Thinking about getting read of my Light Brahmas and getting breeder Buff Brahmas. We'll see on that though. LOL

Getting ready to start my first flock of chickens, mainly for egg production to start, but as I've been doing research I've found myself immersed in the chicken world! Really think I'm going to enjoy this. I'm leaning toward a mixed flock of Buff Orpington, Cuckoo Maran, and Ameraucanas. All supposedly docile so I thought they would go well together and would provide a mixed bag of chicken and egg colorations. I have some experience raising quail from chicks so I'm hoping that will help with the learning curve. Any helpful info is appreciated!

All good breeds. If eggs are what you want can't beat the Leghorn. They will lay ever day, all year. I would find good breeder birds. Not from a hatchery or feed store. They are healthier, lay on a consistence basics for more years, get bigger etc. Over looks are way better. Mature slower is the only down side which really isn't.

Be careful were and whom you buy from. Say the Ameraucanas. I found the name is said loosely. What people call Ameraucanas are actually just easter eggers. Not Ameraucanas. If you buy chickens find somebody that breeds the type you want and go checkout the conditions of how the chickens are raised. That alone will save you a lot of hard ache.
smile.png

And
welcome-byc.gif

All good breeds. If eggs are what you want can't beat the Leghorn. They will lay ever day, all year. I would find good breeder birds. Not from a hatchery or feed store. They are healthier, lay on a consistence basics for more years, get bigger etc. Over looks are way better.  Mature slower is the only down side which really isn't.

Be careful were and whom you buy from. Say the Ameraucanas. I found the name is said loosely. What people call Ameraucanas are actually just easter eggers. Not Ameraucanas. If you buy chickens find somebody that breeds the type you want and go checkout the conditions of how the chickens are raised. That alone will save you a lot of hard ache. :)

And :welcome

Thanks a lot! Yeah I'm realizing that about the Ameraucanas and I'm fine with the Easter eggers...really just want the egg coloring and most reviews I've read have said they are a very calm "breed" and good to have around. I'm actually leaning toward the Welsummer over the Maran after some looking around. Do the Brown Leghorn lay anywhere near as well as the White variety?

I can't seem to locate any breeders in my area. I'm in the Summerville/Moncks Corner area near Charleston. Have been leaning toward an online source but it would be great if anyone on here knows someone close.

Thanks a lot! Yeah I'm realizing that about the Ameraucanas and I'm fine with the Easter eggers...really just want the egg coloring and most reviews I've read have said they are a very calm "breed" and good to have around. I'm actually leaning toward the Welsummer over the Maran after some looking around. Do the Brown Leghorn lay anywhere near as well as the White variety?

I can't seem to locate any breeders in my area. I'm in the Summerville/Moncks Corner area near Charleston. Have been leaning toward an online source but it would be great if anyone on here knows someone close.

Actually only had one brown leghorn once. Seemed to lay right with the whites. I started breeding Heritage Delawares. YOU CAN'T find a friendlier bird in the world. They will follow you all over the place. Some people may have a different opinion on that. But that's because they had hatchery birds. Quit a difference in temperament. I would look on the different threads of the breeds you want and see if you can find anybody close. Good birds will probably have to be shipped to you. Don't get me wrong, hatchery birds are fine if you just want a few to start with. But having had hatchery birds compared to breeder birds, there really is no comparison.

I'm close by near Round O. It's my first year with chickens and I have a dozen. I don't know of any breeders near by but if there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

I'm close by near Round O. It's my first year with chickens and I have a dozen. I don't know of any breeders near by but if there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Sure do appreciate it, I'm familiar with the area somewhat. What kind are you raising? Are you enjoying it?

Seems like most of the breeders in SC are in the upstate. Anyone ever dealt with Whitmore Farms? They have a website and have heritage breeds. Seem legit but you never know. They have Welsummers and Americaunas. Much more expensive than efowl and the other hatcheries but it looks as though they concentrate on quality.

Last edited:
I'm new to the area and don't knkow many breeders in your area. Nesting hills has given you some good advice, and I would only add that to get birds from a breeder rather than a hatchery or feed store, you will be limited as to what is available. You can't really make many generalisations about the breeds when you are talking about hatchery stock. They just are not true to the breed descriptions in most cases. When you get a chance to see birds that are bred to a standard and compare them to hatchery birds, most people are amazed. I would suggest that you find a reputable breeder within driving distance and check them out to see what breeds are available, and go from there. I have never met her and only heard of her by rerputation, but the dragonlady on here seems to be very knowledgeable and raises some of the best buff orpingtons you will find. I think she is in Camden. Probably worth the drive You might also check with gjensen on here. I don't know if he has any birds available, but he raises a red/brown meditarainian breed similar to leghorns and he may know someone in your area. . .........stan

Back
Top Bottom