South Carolina

I have brown leghorns. They lay very well for me. Three hens are averaging 18 eggs per week. Two of those hens are on their second laying cycle. So not an egg every day but still very impressive to me. They are not any more flighty than my EE hens.

Seems like most of the breeders in SC are in the upstate. Anyone ever dealt with Whitmore Farms? They have a website and have heritage breeds. Seem legit but you never know. They have Welsummers and Americaunas. Much more expensive than efowl and the other hatcheries but it looks as though they concentrate on quality.
I know my husband spoke with someone in N.Charleston who raises Welsummer and his originated from Whitmore Farms in MD. I will see if my husband still has his contact information. If so, i will send it to you in a private message. We have Welsummer and they are good forgers. They are pullets so they are not at full laying capacity yet. We only have two Marans pullets and they are okay.

Guys, remember not everyone who is a breeder of quality chickens invites people to see their birds. We do not invite people here for a number of reasons but the biggest is bio-security of our birds.

I have no problem at all to have people come over here. People stop buy and buy eggs and look at my breeds all the time. Have a waiting list because of it. Plus I own BIG GUN'S !!!!! Which I always sneak that into the conversation!!!
lau.gif

Sure do appreciate it, I'm familiar with the area somewhat. What kind are you raising? Are you enjoying it?
I have Ameraucanas and Silver Laced Wyandottes and am enjoying it immensely. I got a mix of 26 3 day old chicks from a relative the beginning of July so they are about 20 weeks old now. I gave 6 away, lost one to a snake, one died from something unknown and I harvested 6 roos leaving me with 10 hens and 2 roosters. The 6 I gave away started laying two weeks ago but mine aren't even thinking about it. Now that there's less light and cooler temperatures it might be awhile but the nests are ready and waiting. I let them out to free range once a day for 1/2 to an hour. I used to let them out a lot more but they started to stomp on my wife's garden and she was not happy about that.

I know my husband spoke with someone in N.Charleston who raises Welsummer and his originated from Whitmore Farms in MD.  I will see if my husband still has his contact information.  If so, i will send it to you in a private message.  We have Welsummer and they are good forgers.   They are pullets so they are not at full laying capacity yet.  We only have two Marans pullets and they are okay.  

I would be very interested in at least talking with this owner in North Charleston. If said person is OK with it, shoot me a PM. Thank you very much.

I have no problem at all to have people come over here. People stop buy and buy eggs and look at my breeds all the time. Have a waiting list because of it. Plus I own BIG GUN'S !!!!!  Which I always sneak that into the conversation!!! :lau

Ha!! Dang right, let it be known. Most times when I bring this into conversation I get the,"you're so red" comment. Um...no....I'm just making sure you know who I am!

Ha!! Dang right, let it be known. Most times when I bring this into conversation I get the,"you're so red" comment. Um...no....I'm just making sure you know who I am!

RIGHT!!!! I tell people, I don't care what it is, cat, dog, raccoon, possum, anybody or anything etc. If it's going after my chickens I work sooo hard at and spend money and time with there in the back ditch. Pretty simple to me I tell them. Plus they see my REALLY BIG german shepard. Who don't like anybody but me. That I think does the trick 99.9% of the time.

And I love your turkeys!!
smile.png
As soon as I get ready of 3 dogs, going to use there metal pen and going to get 3 turkeys next spring to raise just for eating. I see you have some Leghorns? Can't beat them for egg production. Have 3 hens and a cockerel in a breeding pen right now. Will start to hatch some Leghorn chicks next week. The Reds are my favorite. Well besides the Delawares. The Reds I think are the prettiest, the Delawares are the most friendliest bird ever!

I went to the Bantam Show yesterday. And one of the judges are coming over this morning to tell me about my Reds. Going to help me select the best hens for breeding this year.

Thinking about getting read of my Light Brahmas and getting breeder Buff Brahmas. We'll see on that though. LOL
Thank you! Yep, I have several leghorns (i think around 12, I never can count them, they're all over the place), got them early summer when tractor supply was desperately trying to get rid of a bin of three week old chicks who were flying everywhere. Got them for a quarter apiece, not bad for some of the best egg layers around. I originally purchased 20, but we had a terrible streak of bobcat kills which reduced their numbers. Only problem is, they have decided that the coop is not for them, that they'd rather roost in the trees, and lay their eggs everywhere. Sooner or later I'm going to have to put them in one of the completely covered pen (our main layer pen that they reside in is more like a pasture, it's about a fourth of an acre fenced in attached to a house) for a while until they learn to lay in one place. I feel bad for my cuckoo marans rooster, he is the only one (along with two easter egger juvies and occasionally a turkey hen) that roosts in the house anymore. Everyone else is in the trees. Each night while I do my final rounds, I'll whistle up to the young toms roosting and they'll softly gobble at me, no matter how late it is. I love these crazy birds, even though they neglect my carefully built residences. Here's my turkey roost and pasture (back in the green of summer) that the turkeys haven't stayed in for months now. They prefer free ranging, can't say I blame them though. When it gets closer to slaughtering time, I may have to build a wire 'roof' over the top of this pasture to keep the turkeys to be butchered in to put on fat and stay in one area rather than roaming our property at large!

Thank you! Yep, I have several leghorns (i think around 12, I never can count them, they're all over the place), got them early summer when tractor supply was desperately trying to get rid of a bin of three week old chicks who were flying everywhere. Got them for a quarter apiece, not bad for some of the best egg layers around. I originally purchased 20, but we had a terrible streak of bobcat kills which reduced their numbers. Only problem is, they have decided that the coop is not for them, that they'd rather roost in the trees, and lay their eggs everywhere. Sooner or later I'm going to have to put them in one of the completely covered pen (our main layer pen that they reside in is more like a pasture, it's about a fourth of an acre fenced in attached to a house) for a while until they learn to lay in one place. I feel bad for my cuckoo marans rooster, he is the only one (along with two easter egger juvies and occasionally a turkey hen) that roosts in the house anymore. Everyone else is in the trees. Each night while I do my final rounds, I'll whistle up to the young toms roosting and they'll softly gobble at me, no matter how late it is. I love these crazy birds, even though they neglect my carefully built residences. Here's my turkey roost and pasture (back in the green of summer) that the turkeys haven't stayed in for months now. They prefer free ranging, can't say I blame them though. When it gets closer to slaughtering time, I may have to build a wire 'roof' over the top of this pasture to keep the turkeys to be butchered in to put on fat and stay in one area rather than roaming our property at large!
I train all my chicks at an early age to go and roost in the house. I put mine outside at 2-3 weeks old, no matter the weather. I leave them run in the area all day, then at night I have to round them up and put them in the house at night. Then the next day I leave them in there all day and night. Then the next day I open the door and let them come out on there own. Problem solved. After that they go in by themselves. Might have to round up 1 or 2 but they get the picture fast.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom