South Carolina

Just left the Southern States in Sumter and they got in a load of pullets this morning. Araucanas, Gold Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, and Production Reds. They were supposed to get RIR's, too but they weren't there. Not sure if they will be coming soon or if it'll have to be the next order in a few weeks.

Just left the Southern States in Sumter and they got in a load of pullets this morning. Araucanas, Gold Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, and Production Reds. They were supposed to get RIR's, too but they weren't there. Not sure if they will be coming soon or if it'll have to be the next order in a few weeks.
Southern States got a load of Easter Eggers that the hatchery told them was Araucanas. Easter Eggers are great birds, but if you are looking for standard bred Araucanas or Ameraucanas do a little research first. There are several breeders of standard bred birds in SC

So I go into Southern States in Sumter for a bag of pine shavings and walk out with........chicks! 2 Gold Wyandottes, 2 EE's, and 2 Buffs! Gotta love chicken math! Saw some of the earlier posts about the RIR's, they came in this morning and were sold out in 2 hours!
ep.gif
That's o.k. I must confess I did know a shipment was coming in today...hehehe....knew I would get some Wyandottes, but the others were so stinkin cute!
big_smile.png
They said they have a couple of more shipments coming thru May, ie: I'll hopefully be getting a couple more Brahmas..lol

[qoute name="scflock" url="/t/127943/south-carolina/20850#post_16702398"]
Southern States got a load of Easter Eggers that the hatchery told them was Araucanas. Easter Eggers are great birds, but if you are looking for standard bred Araucanas or Ameraucanas do a little research first. There are several breeders of standard bred birds in SC[/quote]

I appreciate you trying to keep people clear on breeds, but I think it's pretty well understood that your not going to get breeding quality stock at a feed and seed store - especially since they're only selling pullets. I don't have, and wouldn't keep, a rooster so I don't care if it's called an Easter Egger, an Ameracauna, an Aracauna, or a blue belly egg layer.

I have hens for eggs, to teach my children that food doesn't just come from the grocery store and as a fun hobby. I have hens that lay white, light brown, and chocolate colored eggs. I love my chickens, and I'm glad to be able to add to the flock. I simply wanted to share the news that a local provider had chicks available.

Last edited:
So I go into Southern States in Sumter for a bag of pine shavings and walk out with........chicks! 2 Gold Wyandottes, 2 EE's, and 2 Buffs! Gotta love chicken math! Saw some of the earlier posts about the RIR's, they came in this morning and were sold out in 2 hours! :eek: That's o.k. I must confess I did know a shipment was coming in today...hehehe....knew I would get some Wyandottes, but the others were so stinkin cute!:D They said they have a couple of more shipments coming thru May, ie: I'll hopefully be getting a couple more Brahmas..lol
:thumbsup

Southern States got a load of Easter Eggers that the hatchery told them was Araucanas. Easter Eggers are great birds, but if you are looking for standard bred Araucanas or Ameraucanas do a little research first. There are several breeders of standard bred birds in SC

I appreciate you trying to keep people clear on breeds, but I think it's pretty well understood that your not going to get breeding quality stock at a feed and seed store - especially since they're only selling pullets. I don't have, and wouldn't keep, a rooster so I don't care if it's called an Easter Egger, an Ameracauna, an Aracauna, or a blue belly egg layer.

I have hens for eggs, to teach my children that food doesn't just come from the grocery store and as a fun hobby. I have hens that lay white, light brown, and chocolate colored eggs. I love my chickens, and I'm glad to be able to add to the flock. I simply wanted to share the news that a local provider had chicks available.

I'm sure you do, but there are many new folks that don't. Scflock, like me and many others, have been down the path of getting what they thought were quality birds of a specific breed, only to learn, after much time and many dollars spent, that what we have is not what was promised.

He was just trying to save some folks the heartbreak. :)

Last edited:

I have hens for eggs, to teach my children that food doesn't just come from the grocery store and as a fun hobby. I have hens that lay white, light brown, and chocolate colored eggs. I love my chickens, and I'm glad to be able to add to the flock. I simply wanted to share the news that a local provider had chicks available.[/QUOTE]
Ditto what Susan said. I promise you, I didn't mean to sound snooty at all. It's not well understood by everyone the difference between feed store and breeder birds, especially AMs/EEs. I didn't know. Out of 130 birds on my farm, 80-90 of them are feed store/hatchery chickens, I love them all, they are fantastic layers, and are pets that will live out their lives on our farm. The only breeder quality birds I own are BCM and AMs, and I didn't get the AMs until after finding out that what I thought were AMs were actually EEs. I recommend to anyone only wanting pullets for backyard eggs buy from a hatchery or feed store. I apologize for coming across as condescending
smile.png

Last edited:
So I go into Southern States in Sumter for a bag of pine shavings and walk out with........chicks! 2 Gold Wyandottes, 2 EE's, and 2 Buffs! Gotta love chicken math! Saw some of the earlier posts about the RIR's, they came in this morning and were sold out in 2 hours!
ep.gif
That's o.k. I must confess I did know a shipment was coming in today...hehehe....knew I would get some Wyandottes, but the others were so stinkin cute!
big_smile.png
They said they have a couple of more shipments coming thru May, ie: I'll hopefully be getting a couple more Brahmas..lol

My whole chicken journey began with walking out of a feed store with 4 Buff Orpington chicks when all I went to buy was veggies for the garden. That was 6 years, 9 pens, and 120 chickens ago. Chicken math definitely in effect here
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom