South Carolina

Originally, I wanted older, thinking (if it ever gets chilly) about warming them...but silkies are so cute! When are they hatching?

Well, I thought I might have a couple hatching but snakes must still be out...:barnie
I've got another hen brooding a few and I may have a pullet and cockerel I would sell.

[/IMG]

The pullet on top and one of the two cockerels.

Hey yall. Checking in from Clover, SC. Buying a house and the hose is coming with a coop and 16 Chickens. First time keeper here so it'll be interesting keeping a flock of this size.

Hello all,
I am new here - I was directed here from the sister site SS. MY fiancé and I need to find a home in upstate South Carolina, and we only have 14 weeks to do so (long story). We currently live in the Lehigh Valley Area of PA. We know very little about the area in SC except what I have been able to obtain from researching online. We have been looking in Greenville, Union, and Lancaster counties. I have done some house hunting online, and the northeastern corridor seems like the best fit for us.
Does anyone know anything about these areas (or upstate SC in general) from personal experience? We are hoping to find a rural property with a modest home to start a hobby farm (20-50+ acres) - so a mixture of pasture and wooded land is what we are looking for. I tried to find information about property taxes and restricted versus non-restricted zoning in those areas (for animals and such), but didn't find much helpful information.
I did a google search for a map of the water resources in SC (lakes, rivers, creeks, etc), as we would like to have a water source on or near our property. Based on that information, it seems like we are looking in the right area. As of right now, the search area is very large. We thought that would make it easier to find what we were looking for. However, it has posed a challenge for finding a buyers agent.
If someone could perhaps recommend some sites that I am missing for additional research, that would be very much appreciated! Any personal recommendations are also helpful! Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
Hello all,
I am new here - I was directed here from the sister site SS. MY fiancé and I need to find a home in upstate South Carolina, and we only have 14 weeks to do so (long story). We currently live in the Lehigh Valley Area of PA. We know very little about the area in SC except what I have been able to obtain from researching online. We have been looking in Greenville, Union, and Lancaster counties. I have done some house hunting online, and the northeastern corridor seems like the best fit for us.
Does anyone know anything about these areas (or upstate SC in general) from personal experience? We are hoping to find a rural property with a modest home to start a hobby farm (20-50+ acres) - so a mixture of pasture and wooded land is what we are looking for. I tried to find information about property taxes and restricted versus non-restricted zoning in those areas (for animals and such), but didn't find much helpful information.
I did a google search for a map of the water resources in SC (lakes, rivers, creeks, etc), as we would like to have a water source on or near our property. Based on that information, it seems like we are looking in the right area. As of right now, the search area is very large. We thought that would make it easier to find what we were looking for. However, it has posed a challenge for finding a buyers agent.
If someone could perhaps recommend some sites that I am missing for additional research, that would be very much appreciated! Any personal recommendations are also helpful! Thanks everyone
smile.png

Maybe city-data.com (another forum) and craigslist.org. Have you considered trying to rent a place first, to make sure you're buying in the area you really want to be in? Just for like 6-12 months. That time should go by quickly and will give you a chance to really scope things out. Barring that, can you squeeze in a quick trip down to do some driving around?

Hello Honea Path SC here!

Lancaster is no good, but Fort Mill is nice. Greenville is nice but taxes are high. Lots of greenville workers will live in powdersville area to avoid greenville taxes. Really anywhere in the upstate is nice though.

Ill be looking for a bantam or something "Different" to add to my flock in the future. Does anyone here know of any chicken sales local to the upstate or do you find that is a bad way to shop chickens?

Back
Top Bottom