South Carolina

AVIAN FLU
This is what I am afraid is happenning.
This just happened thursday 3-16-2017
IE: On Thursday, Alabama said the USDA confirmed a suspected case of low-pathogenic flu in a guinea fowl at a flea market as H7N9. Aviagen, the world’s largest poultry breeding company, has culled chickens in the state over concerns about the disease.

Wild birds can carry the disease without showing signs of sickness and transmit it to poultry through feces, feathers or other forms of contract

So, if birds can have it and not show symptoms, it's not an issue? Unless they die?
I think i see why you would need to get that under control in production scenarios but other than taking the preventative steps, us BYCers need to carry on?
Shouls we stop eating the eggs?
Is there something I don't understand?

I do not think it means to stop eating the eggs.
just do not have any one come to look at your chickens.
And do not go to any ones chicken house either.

Keep feeders clean.as wild birds fecal matter is where the disease is.

How about you just don't have 50 gazillion chickens ? How about Tyson foods treating their people like diseased animals too? So that they have to raise food to eat themselves? I understand farmers need protection and the ones I've visited do. In so many ways but not by fear (or all caps posts) and ceasing educational programs (people visiting farms). Most people with interest or actual dirt in their fingernails get it. Also...IMO mass inoculation ( antibiotic overuse just as in humans) and lack of diversity in breeding leads to resistent disease. Lastly, this is a SC thread. Go ahead y'all beat me to shreds.

How about you just don't have 50 gazillion chickens ? How about Tyson foods treating their people like diseased animals too? So that they have to raise food to eat themselves? I understand farmers need protection and the ones I've visited do. In so many ways but not by fear (or all caps posts) and ceasing educational programs (people visiting farms). Most people with interest or actual dirt in their fingernails get it. Also...IMO mass inoculation ( antibiotic overuse just as in humans) and lack of diversity in breeding leads to resistent disease. Lastly, this is a SC thread. Go ahead y'all beat me to shreds.
No one is trying t critizise any body.
And sorry for the caps. I forget to look at what I am posting and just typed away.
Sorry if I offended you.
Your thought have credibility on the matter at hand.
thanks for commenting

One lady on one of the boards responded with this:
"some of the employees who work at those chicken farms raise chickens and drag the disease to the chicken houses at work.
Even though they are not supposed to have chickens and work at a chicken factory".
Glenda Heywood

Woodruff Heritage Farm is the only one that I know of it's in Woddruff, SC. They have a website and a Facebook page.

ALSO THIS FACEBOOK SITE
MANY HAVE TURKYS FOR SALE
TEXAS PEAFOWL AND TURKEYS
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1181857748515899/
LADY AS SEVERAL HEITAGE BREEDS OF TURKEY POULTS FOR SALE

ROSE WAMSLEY
Turkey poults for sale in Abilene, Tx. All Heritage breeds. Parents potential is pure bourbon red, blue slate, Royal Palm, rare chocolate and Royal Palm or lavender Palm.Eggs are gathered and incubated as mixed hatch. These babies for sale appear to be bourbon red
1f642.png
:) I have a few hatching appearing to be Royal Palm or lavender Palm as of now. a poult discounts for 5+. If well taken care of have the potential to lay by August/September as parent stock started laying at 8 months.
Rose Wamsley Currently have 5 black slate, 1 blue slate, and 3 bourbon red. Oldest is at 4 weeks and I'm asked bf for all

Last edited:
Easley ,i'm raising nine tetra brown and 6 leghorns. This is our first time and are having fun learning and "stressing " about temp and why are they not eating the fine crumbles. Just went and got a crate from a lawn mower dealership and have ideas to build into a coop.

Back
Top Bottom