South Carolina

Well, at least your girls are in a pen in the garden. My free range flock just flew over the garden fence and helped themselves. Not that I didn;t mind sharing but towards the end of summer they had eaten all my cucumbers and I was sorry I asked them to try one! LOL I grow my cukes up a fence and they learned to land on top of the fence and eat their way down.

Just give me a holler when you may want something. I hatch all year around and always seem to have something I can sell. I am fresh out of chicks right now since I have had a few people come and buy a good many but I still have a few Barnie pullets. It will be late spring before I have any Wellie chicks for sale but I will be hatching them as fast as they will lay in another month or so.

I'm glad we have lotsa new people finding this thread. We always need to know who our neighbor's are and become friends.

And I am sorry, Susanne, that I spelled your name wrong! I have a friend that spells it the other way.

Hey fellow SC'ers!! I may have a few Americana roosters to sell if anyone is interested. I also have two Huge RRR roosters I could rehome. I am ready for a little break from the cold. Looking forward to next week for a few warmer days.... Let mw know...Tink

Nadine... do you have any chickens that lay the really dark brown eggs or the really dark green eggs?

Thanks
Tink

Hey Tink,
I have the dark laying Wellies and the Marans in blue copper, black copper and wheaten. However, I have a list waiting on eggs and chicks but could add you if you would like me.

I also have a birchen Marans roo in with my EE girls and will be hatching Olive Eggers in a few weeks. I can sell eggs from them in about a month when I am through setting my eggs. I won't have any chicks for sale from them for a while since I want to keep as many pullets for my fall flock as possible. My egg customers are chomping at the bit for some olive eggs in their cartons.

Thanks for asking and stay warm!

I would love to have some olive and dark choc eggs to hatch. What do you charge for them? I should have never bought an incubator or a turner!!!! Addicting!!! Let me know. We are hunkered down with the wood stove burning!!!
Tink

I will have Olive Eggers due in about 3 weeks. They will look blue or green but the chicks will produce olive. I simply can't wait to add their eggs to my cartons later this year!
You can probably drive over and pick them up and a dz is only $20, if I don't have to ship.

The Wellies and Marans eggs are on a waiting list and I might have them all filled in 3 weeks and can let you buy some of those at that time. Gee, how big is your incubator?
lau.gif

Local pick up for the Marans and Wellies is $40 dz. And you get to see the birds themselves! They do love to show off.

Just a normal sized one that will hold about 48 eggs.....I will get in touch with you...I might try some when it gets a little warmer. I have one Momma sitting right now on 4 eggs. I worry about those babies if they hatch! They are due on the 21st.
Tink

I have 3 Silkies and a Sizzle sitting on eggs. The first batch is due to hatch on Tuesday. Hatching never stops here, even when I have to collect and put in my friend's 'bator. I have 4 brooders going now and about 40 chicks since I sold a bunch recently. I haven't any more chicks I can sell since I am keeping all these for my MFC project and a few really cute Mottleds.
I pray every night the power won't go out and I have to go get them out of the barn and put them all in the bed with me.
lau.gif

That would be cozy!! I have a big dog that would probably keep them warm for me. He loves our feathered family!!! Is there a big demand for chicks around here? I know in the spring Tractor Supply kcant keep them in the store but I didn't realize that the demand was year round...
Tink

I didn't think there would be such a big demand but I haven't been able to keep much of any chicks this winter. I just hatched out extras like the Silkies and the Mottled Cochins in case not many of the MFC chicks didn't hatch but as it happened I had a really nice hatch, thanks to Luann. As it is I have to tell everyone the MFC chicks are not for sale and now that I am down to 2 Mottled chicks I have decided to keep them.
I get calls a few times a week for chicks and chickens. I can sell hens since that is why I have them. Most people do not want chicks and prefer grown, laying hens so I keep a lot of extras. If no one ever wants them they still will lay for me and I sell the eggs. And later may pair them up with a roo to hatch off more chicks if the hens have really nice traits.
I have some cuckoo Marans that I was not so happy with because they were debeaked but realized they lay humongous eggs so I plan to hatch out from them with one of my Golden Cuckoo roos. I realize my egg customers love all those jumbo eggs and hope that these sweet girls will pass on that huge egg trait.

I think people would buy a lot more chickens this time of year if they could afford it. The economy is bad but they still would like to have chickens.

It must be nice to have a wonderful trustworthy dog. What breed is he?

I know most will not believe me but he is Pit. He loves his babies!! He will get in the middle of them when they are fussing at each other and look at them like he is saying.... Knock it off girls!! He protects them from other dogs...very interesting. Pits are really wonderful dogs.....but they need lots of attention and love.

I do sell lots of eggs....but never considered selling chickens......may have to look into that.

Suppose to get warmer this week.....50 and we will feel like summer!!! ha
Tink

Back
Top Bottom