South Carolina

Well, our long overdue cow gave birth today, but the little bull she birthed was stillborn
sad.png
He was fully formed and perfect. We tried our hardest to revive him, even giving mouth to mouth (mouth to nose, actually), trying to clear out his throat, and rubbing him vigorously. But he was gone before he hit the ground. I think the fact that she waited so long to have him affected his birth. The poor mama keeps licking him and mooing to him, and is laying beside him right now. We will remove him in the morning, after she has all night to realize it's not going to wake up. We may get her a calf to foster in the next few days. Very sad day. She's our friendliest cow, and seemed so confused when her baby wouldn't get up.
Oh, so sorry for this sad turn of events.

Im new here, don't have any chickens yet. Interested in getting a few and going from there. I live in Camden (Kershaw County) in a small trailer park so I don't thing I'll be able to get any chickens unfortunally
Find out what the local laws are, you also might consider a bantam such as D'anvers' or Ducles. they are smaller birds, and the hens make very little noise.

RobertH

I'm sorry. How did she do when you took her baby away? I hope you can find her a foster to love.
Well, our long overdue cow gave birth today, but the little bull she birthed was stillborn
sad.png
He was fully formed and perfect. We tried our hardest to revive him, even giving mouth to mouth (mouth to nose, actually), trying to clear out his throat, and rubbing him vigorously. But he was gone before he hit the ground. I think the fact that she waited so long to have him affected his birth. The poor mama keeps licking him and mooing to him, and is laying beside him right now. We will remove him in the morning, after she has all night to realize it's not going to wake up. We may get her a calf to foster in the next few days. Very sad day. She's our friendliest cow, and seemed so confused when her baby wouldn't get up.

sad.png

Oh no!! I am so sorry!

I just got word from my husband that the chicken coop is finally done!! I can't wait to get home from work and see it! Now to get some inhabitants!! I'll post pictures later... here are pictures I took on Monday night of the curtains I put on the nesting boxes!

sad.png
hit.gif
That is so sad. I hope mama recovers quickly...

OHHH Rocker Hen I am so sorry! That must be so hard! I take chicks not hatching hard--I can't imagine a baby cow---so sad for the momma too!!

OK I need help I think! I have a broody silkie. Her eggs are due to hatch any day now. I brought her inside on Monday to the garage in my brooder to keep her away from the other hen and roo in the coop. Well I noticed Monday night that her eye looked funny but did not investigate too closely trying not to bother her. This is the first time I have had a broody. Then Tuesday morning I went to check on her and noticed bugs EVERYWHERE. Little tiny bugs that look like mites. I dusted her with DE and treated her with ivermectin. She seemed to perk up a little because she would lift her head to look at me and you could not see the bugs crawling all over her like before but she has this black stuff all over her head and other places that I have been told are eggs(ewww gross!). So today I checked on her and can see the bugs all over her again. I can see them crawling on her face and just all over her. I dusted her with de but I am wondering if there is anything else I can do for her? I don't mind losing the eggs if I can save her or I can put the eggs in my bator if there is something that I can do to help/save her. Anyone have any suggestions? She is really eaten up by these mites. I guess with her being broody I was just not giving much attention to her--or maybe the mites can attack really quickly???

I have, in Kershaw County I can have them. Just have to make sure its ok with landlord. Thants for the recommendations.
Have coop plans and pictures of what you would like to build or purchase, have a plan where the coop will go, etc

be prepared for questions. SELL him on your PLAN instead of ASKING for permission. I'll bet someone here could spare a dozen FRESH eggs to help sell the plan (Bribary).

there are lots of pictures and some plans for coops in the https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops section. it may not need to be that fancy, and it could be portable, just make sure it is secure from dogs

RobertH

OHHH Rocker Hen I am so sorry! That must be so hard! I take chicks not hatching hard--I can't imagine a baby cow---so sad for the momma too!!

OK I need help I think! I have a broody silkie. Her eggs are due to hatch any day now. I brought her inside on Monday to the garage in my brooder to keep her away from the other hen and roo in the coop. Well I noticed Monday night that her eye looked funny but did not investigate too closely trying not to bother her. This is the first time I have had a broody. Then Tuesday morning I went to check on her and noticed bugs EVERYWHERE. Little tiny bugs that look like mites. I dusted her with DE and treated her with ivermectin. She seemed to perk up a little because she would lift her head to look at me and you could not see the bugs crawling all over her like before but she has this black stuff all over her head and other places that I have been told are eggs(ewww gross!). So today I checked on her and can see the bugs all over her again. I can see them crawling on her face and just all over her. I dusted her with de but I am wondering if there is anything else I can do for her? I don't mind losing the eggs if I can save her or I can put the eggs in my bator if there is something that I can do to help/save her. Anyone have any suggestions? She is really eaten up by these mites. I guess with her being broody I was just not giving much attention to her--or maybe the mites can attack really quickly???

I use Sevin Dust then use it again 7-10 days after the initial treatment. I've also used Ivermectin topically. Good luck!! I hope you can get rid of them!

Back
Top Bottom