South Carolina

have you seen the flock raiser pellets, they are very small. and we have LOTS LESS Waste.

RobertH
For me, it was the opposite. I tried the pellets before. The next day the feeders were empty and the pellets were billed out all over the ground, and the birds were complaining for food. The chickens or the ducks wouldn't touch them. I get a little bit of the crumbles billed out by the chickens still, but my ducks and more submissive birds clean it right up off the ground, so it sorta cancels out.

I use flock raiser for my entire flock. Chicks, hens,roosters, turkeys, ducks. I provide free choice oyster shell for hens that are laying. I haven't been too impressed with the feather quality layena produces. I've noticed much better plumage with the higher protein flock raiser.

I switched to flock raiser for the whole flock this past fall, but after a few months I noticed the eggs were getting smaller. So I switched back to giving them Layena. I have noticed now the eggs getting bigger and there laying more. I had oyster shells out for them but they didn't seem like they really wanted them. I think that was the problem. But with me I have a rooster community and a hen community. Both being 32 x 64 ft. With 5 8 x 16 breeding pens. With 6 different breeds I raise. With a 17 x 32 growing pen. So it's easy to keep the feed separate for the hens, roos and chicks. Plus another whole other area that right now I have Production reds in.

I use the Dumor brand and I use the crumbles for the less waste. Now, we built a feeder out of PVC piping that reduces the waste dramatically and we use this for both the chickens and the quail.

Hi Everyone! Sorry I havent been on in awhile. I have been super busy. Welcome to all the new people!!

Tonight I put my first ever batch of eggs in lockdown in the incubator. I started with 15 shipped black copper marans. There are 6 left. I am hoping they all hatch great and stay heathly. Also I put in 7 turkey eggs today but I dont think they will do well.
Ooooh KrisH, I still want to buy a couple of turkey's from you!! ;-)

Also I STILL havent gotten any eggs from my hens. My oldest hen Faith is 30 wks old and my other 4 "babies" will be 25 wks on monday. I just dont know why its taking them so long. :-(

Hi Everyone! Sorry I havent been on in awhile. I have been super busy. Welcome to all the new people!!

Tonight I put my first ever batch of eggs in lockdown in the incubator. I started with 15 shipped black copper marans. There are 6 left. I am hoping they all hatch great and stay heathly. Also I put in 7 turkey eggs today but I dont think they will do well.
Ooooh KrisH, I still want to buy a couple of turkey's from you!! ;-)

Also I STILL havent gotten any eggs from my hens. My oldest hen Faith is 30 wks old and my other 4 "babies" will be 25 wks on monday. I just dont know why its taking them so long. :-(

Hoping for healthy chicks! I have one hen who only started laying this week and she's 7 months old. The eggs are small but perfect! She did not mature (start growing real comb and wattles, redden, etc) until I put her in a larger pen, and switched her to Layena. The sun of course has been shining more recently too. Best wishes for your girls!

Have you tried giving them laying mash? I have a few Bobwhite's that have not started laying yet and I gave them some oyster shells and laying mash. I have just had 6 Georgia Giant babies hatch and I have 41 Bobwhite eggs going into the incubator by Monday. I hop that you have healthy chicks and I hope that your turkey eggs make it. I just noticed that you aren't far from me, where in Anderson are you? I live in Seneca.

First poults hatched from my pair of turkeys.
wee.gif
Red bronze tom (bourbon red/royal palm) and royal palm hen. However, they won't be alone soon. Next 4 are due next wednesday, and the turkey hen has a nest with a dozen more eggs that she appears to be broody on.

My husband got orders to Charleston. We're moving there this fall. My first response to this news? "I'm not giving up my chickens. They're going with us."

So... fellow flock keepers. I need advice on where to start our search for a house in the Goose Creek/North Charleston area. We need to be within a 30-ish minute drive to the base in a rural chicken-friendly area with a good elementary school.

Thoughts? Suggestions?? We're bringing a 7yo son, 2 dogs, a cat and 11 hens (7 EE's, 4 bantams). I'm aware of a couple of the ordinances ("no more than 10 chickens" and the "no chickens running 'at large'." in Summerville) and those are not a problem (if #11 is really THAT big of a deal, I'll let my 2 seramas be "house chickens"). I've been looking at houses online, but its hard to get a feel for the area just from the pictures, kwim?

Any help anyone can give me would be hugely appreciated! Thank you!

Can I just say that the South Carolina thread is the best! I really needed/wanted advice on feed choice related to whats available to us here and you guys came through. Several good examples of feed that you use, how long used, why, with what, how much, and actual results of using it. BYC SC. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom