South Carolina

Abbevilleoz, I'm familiar with blue genes in ducks, which makes them lighter. But I'm not familiar with the splash gene, which is obviously making the color vary from place to place. I like it!!!

Last edited:
OH, OK, you're talking about blue feathers.That always throws me. Probably because the 'blue' is subjective (actually it's more of a slate grey, right?).

Yea, different shades of gray. Some come close to blue in appearance. It's referred to as blue in the SOP and its associated with the color black. "Blue" chickens will be the slate gray color. "Splash" is white background with "splashes " of various shade of "blue."

Yea, different shades of gray. Some come close to blue in appearance. It's referred to as blue in the SOP and its associated with the color black. "Blue" chickens will be the slate gray color. "Splash" is white background with "splashes " of various shade of "blue."

How do you get the splash variant?

How do you get the splash variant?

Here's a tables that simplifies the blue, black, splash breeding:

Ah! This looks like splash is what you get when a chicken gets two "blue" genes. In ducks when you have two blue genes you get double blue, which is simply a more pale color. Here it looks like you get spots of color. Interesting.

Ah!  This looks like splash is what you get when a chicken gets two "blue" genes.  In ducks when you have two blue genes you get double blue, which is simply a more pale color.  Here it looks like you get spots of color.  Interesting.

How do you know which genes your animal has?

Back
Top Bottom