South Carolina

Pics
Hello,

This is my first post. I'm new to chickens, although my husband is not. We live in Duncan, between Greenville and Spartanburg.

I got 12 RIR chicks from Tractor Supply last Tuesday, when the girl told me they were all pullets. Today I find out they're straight run! So I am afraid I will have all roosters!

Looking forward to learning a lot about chickens, and maybe trying some different breeds after I find out what I have now.

Susan

Hey and welcome. You will enjoy this forum and learn alot as well. RIR's are great layers of brown eggs and maybe you will be lucky and only get a few roosters. I did them same thing last year and got a perfect 50/ 50 split or hens and roos. I picked out the best looking rooster and gave the others away. 12 is a good number not too many or too few. Good luck with your new chicks and enjoy the experience!

Welcome!
I live about 5 miles from Duncan. There are lots of chicken people in our area.
Good luck with your RIR, my neighbor has those and he is getting some jumbo eggs.
Enjoy your chickies. I started out with seven bantam white Cochins and now am up to about 200! There are so many great breeds!
frow.gif

Reminds me, I need to make a new thread with my new tractor I just finished. I'm always trying to perfect a tractor. Mine are so cool and easy to use. I'm ready to start building another and add yet more modifications to it.

Thanks for the welcome! I guess I can blame it all on my husband because I had him pick out the chicks!
lol.png
I said pick the healthy looking ones.

There are some that have grown so much more than others...I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

If I find out how many roosters I have soon, I'll get rid of all but one and get either some Buff Orpingtons or some Dominickers (if the farm store will still have them).

But I'll have my hubby build a coop large enough for 15 chickens now...gosh I feel so sneaky already!
cool.png

200! Wow!

Susan

Last edited:
Close to 200 and more on the way plus what we are hatching out ourselves. It stays very busy around here! But I love it!
Chickens are easier than any other animals we have had and they give back so much!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom