South Carolina

Any tips for coops in SC? Anderson county here
I've only been doing this a few months, and I'm in the lowcountry, but here are my thoughts:
I have windows on all 4 sides to help manage the heat and my coop and run are partially shaded by a couple big trees. My ladies seemed to have been fine with the heat and inside the coop has stayed temperate.

Originally my 4x10' run was uncovered except for underneath the coop, but before the last hurricane, I added a board above the part of the run that is closest to the coop to give a little more coverage. I think the ladies are staying dry enough, but the remaining ~4' of the run that is uncovered to get sun is pretty wet and muddy.

I've been doing deep litter method in the coop, which is working great, and in the run, which has been a soggy mess and I'm thinking about changing it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• Coop and run.JPG
    Coop and run.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 5
Any tips for coops in SC? Anderson county here
Welcome to BYC and hello neighbor. I'm a newbie but have researched myself to death on chickens on this site. Here's what I built and my story during the build. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/building-a-4x8-coop-inside-10x10-dog-kennel.1379917/

Do you live in the city limits or county? And if you live in a neighborhood be sure to check what you're allowed to have.

Here are some helpful ideas:
1) Treated plywood for sides and flooring, wafer board for the roof as long as you're going to use a good roofing material. Also paint the exterior, we can have 4 seasons in one week in Anderson, so best to be ready.
2) Be sure to have some natural shade and be somewhere the water drainage is good for the run.
3) If Home Depot and Lowes off of Clemson Blvd are out of something you want, head up to the Clemson Lowes. Several stores were out of treated lumber when I built (including Greenville) but the Clemson store seemed to have great supply of everything.
4) Walk in Coop and run are a big plus.
5) Lots of ventilation in the coop and use a deep litter method in the coop (use the search on the forum to understand what this is).
6) All the farm supply places are running low on chicken stuff, so be ready to order online and pick-up (Tractor Supply & Smith Farm Supplies (just changed company name but same people running the store). Not sure of prices between these two companies now, as we haven't visited Smith's since they changed names August 15th'ish.
7) Make sure your coop has a good roof overhang to push the water away from walls and nesting box (if you do an exterior one). Also, if you do an exterior nesting box, be sure to make the lid have a lip that is beyond the box itself so water doesn't drip in (happened to me).

Lots of other things along the way you'll want to know or learn by asking on this forum, and you tend to always get an answer. Also, use the search button on the site, you'll find the same questions have been asked over and over here.

Welcome to BYC and hello neighbor. I'm a newbie but have researched myself to death on chickens on this site. Here's what I built and my story during the build. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/building-a-4x8-coop-inside-10x10-dog-kennel.1379917/

Do you live in the city limits or county? And if you live in a neighborhood be sure to check what you're allowed to have.

Here are some helpful ideas:
1) Treated plywood for sides and flooring, wafer board for the roof as long as you're going to use a good roofing material. Also paint the exterior, we can have 4 seasons in one week in Anderson, so best to be ready.
2) Be sure to have some natural shade and be somewhere the water drainage is good for the run.
3) If Home Depot and Lowes off of Clemson Blvd are out of something you want, head up to the Clemson Lowes. Several stores were out of treated lumber when I built (including Greenville) but the Clemson store seemed to have great supply of everything.
4) Walk in Coop and run are a big plus.
5) Lots of ventilation in the coop and use a deep litter method in the coop (use the search on the forum to understand what this is).
6) All the farm supply places are running low on chicken stuff, so be ready to order online and pick-up (Tractor Supply & Smith Farm Supplies (just changed company name but same people running the store). Not sure of prices between these two companies now, as we haven't visited Smith's since they changed names August 15th'ish.
7) Make sure your coop has a good roof overhang to push the water away from walls and nesting box (if you do an exterior one). Also, if you do an exterior nesting box, be sure to make the lid have a lip that is beyond the box itself so water doesn't drip in (happened to me).

Lots of other things along the way you'll want to know or learn by asking on this forum, and you tend to always get an answer. Also, use the search button on the site, you'll find the same questions have been asked over and over here.
You also live in Anderson area? And nice coop, what birds you got? Just the leghorns? And thankfully I live out in the country side

I’m in NC. Sylva. I think I might start some type of chicken business. The pullets I have (so far) are; Asian Blacks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Buff Brahmas,& Leghorns. I have 1 French Black Copper Maran cockerel. 8 Easter Egger chicks on the way, 1 surprise chook. I will be grabbing some juvenile chooks from my husbands work buddy soon as well. So far, I’ve picked out a frizzle cockerel, blue Cochin bantam & MAYBE.... Cochin/game bird mixed, not sure of the game bird breed, I know it’s a hen though. I’ll have to ask my husband to ask his buddy. This man has at or just over 90 chickens, so I might have to just go visit in person.

Those breeds are just the tip of MY iceberg. I plan on getting a variety of breeds/breeding pairs, if anybody cares. 🤣 or wants to do business in the future.

Who else is in SC ?

I need more chickens !

or maybe I should branch out into quail ?

and my Australian Shepherd is getting old, so I may need a new Aussie pup for her to train for me . . . .

Heck, I would just like to meet some Chicken folks !

Hi in South Carolina here, just south of Charlotte. I have some roosters I can sell you LOL
I was supposed to get all hens but they gave me one third roosters two thirds hens so right now I have 15 chickens of which 10 are hens and 5 are roosters

Earthstar

Back
Top Bottom