South Carolina

I’m in NC. Sylva. I think I might start some type of chicken business. The pullets I have (so far) are; Asian Blacks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Buff Brahmas,& Leghorns. I have 1 French Black Copper Maran cockerel. 8 Easter Egger chicks on the way, 1 surprise chook. I will be grabbing some juvenile chooks from my husbands work buddy soon as well. So far, I’ve picked out a frizzle cockerel, blue Cochin bantam & MAYBE.... Cochin/game bird mixed, not sure of the game bird breed, I know it’s a hen though. I’ll have to ask my husband to ask his buddy. This man has at or just over 90 chickens, so I might have to just go visit in person.

Those breeds are just the tip of MY iceberg. I plan on getting a variety of breeds/breeding pairs, if anybody cares. 🤣 or wants to do business in the future.
Any tips on where I can find somebody to butcher and process chickens? I am in South Carolina, but not too far from Sylva - about 3 hours. Just wondering how that goes across state with different regulations and such, or whether that all falls under USDA.

Any tips on where I can find somebody to butcher and process chickens? I am in South Carolina, but not too far from Sylva - about 3 hours. Just wondering how that goes across state with different regulations and such, or whether that all falls under USDA.

I’m pretty sure there’s a butcher shop in Anderson SC, but as far as butchering chickens Im not knowledgeable on any of it or any of the regulations Surrounding it. I’m sure there’s someone on here that has some info that you’re ISO. 😊

Ask around at the deer processing places, they may do it or at least will know who does. Just remember deer hunting season starts September 15 for bow, and meat processing centers will be busy with deer.

South Carolina here! I just saw this thread today!
165FE7FC-6405-4B4C-BA73-B2773EF88B29.jpeg

And here is The Chicken Lounge.

South Carolina here! I just saw this thread today!View attachment 2329296
And here is The Chicken Lounge.
I see a chicken run chair. It's amazing that people pay lots of money for Zen types of therapy when all they need is a chair and a chicken run to find a peaceful place to meditate. :thumbsup

Guessing you're down toward the coast with that sandy soil I'm seeing?

The
I see a chicken run chair. It's amazing that people pay lots of money for Zen types of therapy when all they need is a chair and a chicken run to find a peaceful place to meditate. :thumbsup

Guessing you're down toward the coast with that sandy soil I'm seeing?
Yes! I love to spend time with my chickens. I want then to know me and feel comfortable around me. They talk to me. Bawwk. And they relax me! I sit out there with my coffee, and sometimes I even talk and text on my phone out there.
We live about 30 miles west of Myrtle Beach. It’s a half-hour drive to the beach. Our soil is pretty bad for having a lawn but we try. Lol

Hello, just an intro for myself; I'm a newcomer in the Lowcountry near Savannah/Hilton head area. Had joined previously after dreaming of chickens for month and half building a coop. since lost access to that email and therefore my old account here. Fast forward 4 or so years later ; life moved along, married and two kids and ready to look at chickens again. About have an [cooler] incubator all set up to hatch some eggs and will probably look to someone local for hatching eggs to try the incubator out.

Then I'll be looking for Bielefelder or Delaware eggs I think once the coolerbator is proven. depending on the Biele / Dele Roo's I end up with,if they don't work out, I may search for a MilleFluer D'uccle Roo. And of course a silkie, if the Biele/Del's don't decide to go broody now and then.

Who know's I may well wind up with dreams and another half built coop. time shall tell. :)

Back
Top Bottom