South Carolina

Does anyone have any recommendations on heritage lines of meat stock? We are looking into breeding chickens to be a little more self sufficient and currently have hatchery stock that is just not cutting it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on heritage lines of meat stock? We are looking into breeding chickens to be a little more self sufficient and currently have hatchery stock that is just not cutting it.

My gist of things (from uneducated view) is that most of the same ‘breeds’ your seeing listed as heritage from hatchery stock are the right name, just have to find someone who hasn’t sold out to production and has focused attention on the things that made them dual purpose birds in the first place. So it comes down to blood lines in my opinion. My eyes are on Delaware and Bielefelder. I’ve often thought about getting a Cornish hen or two. And then hatching cross breed chicks twice a year or so.

My gist of things (from uneducated view) is that most of the same ‘breeds’ your seeing listed as heritage from hatchery stock are the right name, just have to find someone who hasn’t sold out to production and has focused attention on the things that made them dual purpose birds in the first place. So it comes down to blood lines in my opinion. My eyes are on Delaware and Bielefelder. I’ve often thought about getting a Cornish hen or two. And then hatching cross breed chicks twice a year or so.
Yeah I was curious to know if anyone knew any breeder that they would recommend, rather than the breed the bloodline is important as I'm learning from my hatchery birds that all look like a bunch of leghorns...

SOOOO to all you South Carolina egg people that might want to sell your eggs at a Farmers Market, you need to apply for an Egg License.
https://agriculture.sc.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Egg-License-Application-Packet.pdf Then I have to candle, bleach wash, refrigerate them, size the eggs, and then LABEL the box by putting my name, address info, date, size of eggs, advise them to put them in the fridge.

If you want to sell out of your house/farm/land you can post a sign saying Eggs for Sale, and "at least" wash the eggs in bleach and refrigerate them to 45 degrees. This goes counter to everything I've learned here, as that would remove the protective barrier called the "bloom" and by doing that causes the egg to have to be refrigerated. If I leave the bloom on, there's no need to put them in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom