South Carolina

Anyone interested in 3 hens and/or a coop?

I'm located in Charleston. We started the coop as a quarantine project in March and brought home 3 adult hens in June. We love them, but a work opportunity came up 1,100 miles away and we're selling our home and moving in a month.

The hens can go back to the farm in Walterboro where they came from. However, we put a lot of time, money, and love into the coop. So if anyone is interested and has a truck, we could figure out separating the coop and run for transport.

Coop is 3' x 4' and 3.5' high with plenty of ventilation for our SC summers. It has a slanted roof and a gutter-rain barrel-auto waterer system. The run is 12' x 4', including the space under the coop, 6' high, and entirely enclosed in 1/2" HWC.

The chickens are Red, Lady, and Dino. They're laying 1-3 eggs a day. Red is fine being picked up and Dino likes to break out into impromptu sprints and flights across the yard. Despite my best attempts to keep them out of the garden, they like stealing tomatoes.

I have many more pics (and details about the chickens) if you are interested!

Attachments

• Coop and run.JPG
    Coop and run.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I'm looking for coturnix quail that are any color except the wild/brown type, I got 5 quail from the flea market on Saturday (it was an impulse buy, not always the best thing to do, I know) and I thought I had 1 male and 4 females, turns out I have 2 normal/brown/pharaoh/wild type males and 2 females, and 1 falb fee male (he's my favorite male) and I'm now looking for any other color females in the Columbia/Lexington area of South Carolina. If anyone could help I would greatly apricate it (And yes I would buy afew birds if anyone is selling) if anyone has any?

SOOOO to all you South Carolina egg people that might want to sell your eggs at a Farmers Market, you need to apply for an Egg License.
https://agriculture.sc.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Egg-License-Application-Packet.pdf Then I have to candle, bleach wash, refrigerate them, size the eggs, and then LABEL the box by putting my name, address info, date, size of eggs, advise them to put them in the fridge.

If you want to sell out of your house/farm/land you can post a sign saying Eggs for Sale, and "at least" wash the eggs in bleach and refrigerate them to 45 degrees. This goes counter to everything I've learned here, as that would remove the protective barrier called the "bloom" and by doing that causes the egg to have to be refrigerated. If I leave the bloom on, there's no need to put them in the fridge.

Very interesting! It seems all SC cares about it making a few bucks on the license.

I'm located in Charleston. We started the coop as a quarantine project in March and brought home 3 adult hens in June. We love them, but a work opportunity came up 1,100 miles away and we're selling our home and moving in a month.

The hens can go back to the farm in Walterboro where they came from. However, we put a lot of time, money, and love into the coop. So if anyone is interested and has a truck, we could figure out separating the coop and run for transport.

Coop is 3' x 4' and 3.5' high with plenty of ventilation for our SC summers. It has a slanted roof and a gutter-rain barrel-auto waterer system. The run is 12' x 4', including the space under the coop, 6' high, and entirely enclosed in 1/2" HWC.

The chickens are Red, Lady, and Dino. They're laying 1-3 eggs a day. Red is fine being picked up and Dino likes to break out into impromptu sprints and flights across the yard. Despite my best attempts to keep them out of the garden, they like stealing tomatoes.

Great coop and run! I'm in Columbia but good luck!

I'm looking for coturnix quail that are any color except the wild/brown type, I got 5 quail from the flea market on Saturday (it was an impulse buy, not always the best thing to do, I know) and I thought I had 1 male and 4 females, turns out I have 2 normal/brown/pharaoh/wild type males and 2 females, and 1 falb fee male (he's my favorite male) and I'm now looking for any other color females in the Columbia/Lexington area of South Carolina. If anyone could help I would greatly apricate it (And yes I would buy afew birds if anyone is selling) if anyone has any?
I'm still looking for some quail hens

Outside Clinton here, down to 1 Rhode Island hen and 1 Americana rooster, 12 Muscovy coming on March 1.
We had a dozen mixed flock originally but lost some to predators and gave the rest away over time. A dozen egg layers is to many eggs for 2 people! Lol
Adding quail I think later on.
We did 24 meat chickens last spring, I just skinned instead of plucking, and didn’t enjoy the stench of them. I might try dual breed after the ducks are established. Silver fox rabbits are finally old enough to breed too.

I’m in NC. Sylva. I think I might start some type of chicken business. The pullets I have (so far) are; Asian Blacks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Buff Brahmas,& Leghorns. I have 1 French Black Copper Maran cockerel. 8 Easter Egger chicks on the way, 1 surprise chook. I will be grabbing some juvenile chooks from my husbands work buddy soon as well. So far, I’ve picked out a frizzle cockerel, blue Cochin bantam & MAYBE.... Cochin/game bird mixed, not sure of the game bird breed, I know it’s a hen though. I’ll have to ask my husband to ask his buddy. This man has at or just over 90 chickens, so I might have to just go visit in person.

Those breeds are just the tip of MY iceberg. I plan on getting a variety of breeds/breeding pairs, if anybody cares. 🤣 or wants to do business in the future.
I see you have buffs, how do they do for you?

What breeds do you have?

Back
Top Bottom