South Carolina

Wow Nadine, you are about to have a chicken 'splosion! Fun!

MadChickenLady, I lived in Westminster when I was a kid. Started first grade there and we moved when I was halfway through tenth grade. My husband is a West-Oak alum and we are both Clemson alums. My in-laws live in Townville, so we know Oconee County!

Oconee county has such neat diversity. Lake and mountains, rivers and fields.
My DH grew up around Pendleton, Central, Seneca and we both spent most of our childhood on Lake Hartwell. We used to own 10 acres on Lake Hartwell but sold it to get the land we have now. The taxes were killing us.

It won't be much of a chicken explosion from what I am used to. I was hatching out about 60-120 chicks a week and am now down to only 2 brooders and about 50 chicks. The most fun will be watching the mama hens raise the chicks instead of me raising them in brooders. That can wear you out when you are cleaning constantly. I went from about 600 chicks and chickens down to 200 in just a few months. Sales were good but it has been wonderful not to have the chores last all dag gone day. I love my birds but gosh, it was working me to death!
th.gif

Sugarhillfarm, if I only had room for more than one roo...

AKsmama - I live out in the boonies, but I know Westminster very well... I love driving over there to eat cheeseburgers at The Lucky Strike!
droolin.gif

In other news, tomorrow is the big day! Here's a picture of the Golden Laced Wyandotte Roo I'm set to pick up... if I've figured out how to upload and post images, that is...
fl.gif

62326_glw_roo.jpg

I haven't seen him in person yet, but I can't wait!
He's coming with three hens: one Black Star, one Barred Rock, and one Golden Laced Wyandotte.

I've got a temporary coop set up for them to live in until it's time to integrate with my current flock... and I just can't wait for them to be here!

wee.gif

He is so lovely!
I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte roo that is a total charm. I hope your fella is every bit as sweet as my Jerry. I have several GLW hens but no roo for them. I love them but the SLW take my breath away. I am going to try and get many more when I can afford it.

I have given up even counting how many roos I have on the farm. At one time it was well over 50. I hate fall and spring because that is when I have to decide who goes in the freezer and I love most all the roos because they are pretty and the darn things have too much personality. Some will be here forever, even as pets but others can't stay. <sigh> Poultry can be a hard business.
hit.gif

We live in Greenville County. We love raising free-range Ameraucanas and whatever other birds we can get together. If anybody wants to buy, sell, swap, or trade, or just look, let me know!

Last edited:
I'm in Easley, off and on the forum, we're planning a new coop and then want to start up a new laying flock. We want to do this as cheaply as possible. I'm hoping to have a variety of birds too, just for ornamental value but good laying breeds. Want to try a few breeds I haven't had before such as Buff Orps, Australorps, Black Sex-Links, maybe some white eggers and I will probably have some red hens (maybe sex-links or RIRs which I've had both) and probably some Ameraucana's too. I always love the green and blue eggs.

hey everybody....havent been on in a few weeks. Been crazy busy witht he new feed store. Loving it....

I am planning another Chicken swap for the fall/ Way to hot right now....

Got some awesome new feeds in for CHEAP!!! lol

miss everybody....

I used to live on Cobb's Bridge road and spent a lot of time riding on Rich Mountain, Buzzard's Roost and Spyrock. Worked at WildWater for a few months just before I moved to another part of SC. My parents lived on Dr. John's road and enjoyed Lake Hartwell. However, I'm originally from FL.

Back
Top Bottom