South Carolina

Well we lost power this am...out for about 4 hours so brought the week old chicks in next to the woodstove and made a makeshift brooder for them. Will post pics later. My animals are likewise blaming me for this cold white slick stuff...no one wants to come out of the coops...and they seem to be demanding me to bring them some treats
lau.gif
Horses are keeping their noses buried in the round bale except for the mule who thinks it is quite the treat to roll in the slush
hu.gif
Dogs curled up not wanting to go out because they can't find a blade of grass...llamas are out by the pasture line threatening to spit at the electric workers
barnie.gif
and my hubby is also home on conference calls. WHERE IS MY CALGON????

Ranchhand I am about 8 miles from Shaw...no sense in anyone coming there today. Most everything is closed around here again today.

Thanks for the comps about my horse..I am a little partial to him myself
lau.gif

The image of llamas spitting on the electric co workers makes me
lol.png
What's a little (ok, a lot) llama spit? At least it would be warm, right?
wink.png

DH is taking a break from working and has the kids in a makeshift sled, pulling them around with the RTV. Necessity is the mother of redneck invention.

Nadine- we are tossing around the idea of getting an LGD, and Pyrs are at the top of my list. It's kind of amazing, because my husband hates, loathes, and despises dogs. But when he found out that LGDs aren't particularly affectionate (as in, not jumping up and trying to lick you in the face all the time) and are fairly independent, he got a bit more interested. Did you get yours from someone local? I am doing research on all LGDs and it's still a far away decision. I know all dogs are different, but we want a working dog, not a housepet. We've also tossed around the idea of a few goats and sheep, so an LGD or two would be ideal. I was telling the girls today that a Pyr would have no trouble with the ice and snow. We'd just have to provide some big water tubs for the summer!

Hello again everyone! I am the northern transplant coming to the Spartanburg area with my husband, son and dreams of back yard chickens and we have finally arrived! And are now stranded in a hotel here unable to even drive to our new house! (being stranded in a hotel with a very active 3 year old boy is quite unpleasent, espcially when the only food you can find for him are bread and candy!)

I am so excited to get things fixed up at the house and obtain my chickens
wee.gif

And I wanted to mention that I have a contact that knows about adopting rescued LGD's and I would be happy to put you in touch with her, AKsmama
thumbsup.gif
That is what we hope to do soon, too. (well, but first we need the chickens...)

AND, I wanted to point out the beautiful sex link chicken that is staring as this week's BYC picture of the week - she is owned by a good friend of mine in Florida who is giving me lots of suport and encourgment with my chicken obsession.

Hope everyone stays warm and safe!
Rachel

Hi Rachel! Welcome to SC, I guarantee this mess doesn't happen every winter, though the upstate area gets far more snow than we get down here. Hope you in the house today!

snick, thanks for the warning, he is up there today though. Just called to say he made it. It's a 2.5 hour drive, he said it wasn't bad and that conditions ON the base are worse, lol. I told him to look for llamas! And if he sees them to drive through for a carwash.......

AKsmama, we used to use an old VW Beetle to pull a sled on Folly Beach. It was pretty fun!

Why is it that all my LF hens have gone on strike, I've only gotten one single solitary egg in the past 2 1/2 weeks... and my two serama hens won't quit laying?!? My little momma hen has gone broody again, and she's got more eggs under her than she can sit on. I peeked under her an hour ago and there were about a dozen eggs. Silly girl! I still have 5 5-week old babies that have to go somewhere! They're so cute! Their patterns are getting prettier by the day!

Geez, Rachel, did you bring us this snow?
lau.gif

Kidding! I really love it! Talk about making tracks doing the chores.......

9332_barnyard_jan_11.jpg

9332_red_contraption_day_3_jan_11.jpg

9332_tractors_w_paths.jpg

All these ruts are just from me walking it. I did not shovel these paths. Even the dog stayed in them. DH would not walk in them and would fuss about having a hard time walking in the snow and ice. Yeah, you do it every day 3-4 times to check on the kids in all the pens and you learn real quick to keep to the same route. The only part I hate is getting the ice out of the waterers every morning. I do miss my wagon then. Carrying the water is harder but the beauty makes up for it.
9332_tracks_to_front_pasture.jpg

Kids are still out of school. DH did go to work tonight first time this week and I am scared of how he will get home. In one piece I hope!

Nadine,

Your yard looks a LOT like mine here in New Mexico (at 6500 feet elevation).

That's a common sight HERE in Winter. But rather "uncommon" where you live!

Hope you "warm-up" soon.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Quote:
Good news! Betsy found her BEI duck safe under all the snow! She could not get out because of the fencing on top of her but she was alive and well! Hooray!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom