South Carolina

Okay! I plan on it every Sunday but then Terry comes up saying they have to work on Sunday but then they do not so I am thinking someone is not wanting to process this meat. We actually can do it very quickly so I do not understand his hesitation.
Maybe this Sunday?
It seriously needs doing as I have several roosters and ducks that are eating more than I need to shell out in money.
ooooohhh ooooohhh I need to learn.. I have several roos that I dont have hens for so they need to go to the freezer camp.. any chance we can make the trip up too? we have a yard sale in the early am for our church but that will be over early.. when are youplaning on doing it??

I have a real hard time finding where my messages are on here now on the thread maybe message me or even on the facebook page messages...

talk to ya soon..
Pink..

Ok so I have been lurking but not slowing down long enough to chat on here!! So I just want to say HI and hope all are doing well. I am dealing with Fowl pox in one of my coops...so far seems isolated there but I am daring those darn skeeters to spread it more...otherwise all is good here!

I did get a call today offering me an interview for a full time position with the school district...I have tried for 3 years to get in a classroom and have interviewed several times with no luck.Those positions I applied for...this one I did not even know about...they called me...I am not sure what to do.I have been working hard to get the farm going and if I go to work full time I may have to give alot up and scale way back =( I was hoping to turn this into a little something but the guaranteed money would be nice right now...but there is no guarantee that I would have a job next school year either and I would not be able to do many of the fall shows and swaps...ack...what to do??????
oh what a delema.. you have been working so hard the last what 2 years now... getting your stock built up. but a reg paying job is hard to pass up especialy how hard things are going.. but at least you will have weekends to go to shows and swaps.. and youll still have your birds to fall back on for lean times..
heres to hoping you find the answer that will work the best for you and the familiy...
blessed be
Pink

OK, I am looking for advice/insight/experiences/something...I have one styrofoam Hovobator with turner I incubate in that runs a steady 99-100 with good humidity. I pencil date my eggs and also mark a calendar and am careful on timing. I hardly open it till I need to move eggs to hatch. I have an LG styrofoam I transfer on day 18 to hatch. The LG runs a steady 100-101 and 65% humidity. When I transfer the eggs to hatch in the LG I do not open/fiddle until there are chicks dry (about 12-20 hours later) to remove them. I do candle during the "move" and see great development, good air sac, and movement.

My problem...I get maybe 40% hatch rate...and especially I have BB Ameraucana Roo over 2 Blue Splash Hens that have a great thick shell...these especially are difficult to hatch and I am so frustrated with my problem of getting great % of pipping out of these and then they just stop...they will rock just a little with noise/light stimulation...but just stop and die in shell...after 20-30 0r more hours of being pipped...Whats up??? I have tried "helping" after a day or two of them being pipped but this always ends terribly!!! I leave them also and eventually they just die with a great pip hole...not drowning and not shrink wrapping (until they lay there days at least)....any ideas?

This has went on for many hatches...so frustrating to get the babies this far to keep having these just quit.die at pip....
hu.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
Patsy, considering the amount of humidity in the air right now I would try lowering your bators humidity down to about 50%. I forgot to add water to my hatcher the other day and it was sitting on 38% when the first ones pipped. I still walked away and forgot to add water (duh me) but they all hatched out fine. I was pretty amazed but of course, as soon as one hatched out the humidity rose inside and helped the others, I guess. Two of those eggs were Pekin ducks, too. Hard, tough shells.

Here's my little new mother with her 5 chicks! (one is under her). Considering they have the same mother and father, I'm amazed at the variety. I had to move them on the back porch last night because of the flooding.

These guys were an adorable surprise. Hatched 2 days early! These are the eggs I got from Nikki. So sweet. 5 have hatched so far, I'm not sure if the 6th is going to hatch.

They're all white, except for one 'oops' baby, which I assume is the offspring of her half polish that was in the white pen. Still so so cute! He has foot feathering and black skin, but only 4 toes per foot and a recognizable polish shaped head. I'm sure he will be a cutie! Even my dad, who usually doesn't care about my birds, thinks that these chicks are the cutest he's seen
smile.png

Oh, and we got 4 1/2 inches of rain last night. That plus the runoff from the pasture has brought our pond up to it's original 4 acre glory
yesss.gif
! It was wayyy down, maybe to only 2 or 3 acres.

Here's my little new mother with her 5 chicks! (one is under her). Considering they have the same mother and father, I'm amazed at the variety. I had to move them on the back porch last night because of the flooding.

These guys were an adorable surprise. Hatched 2 days early! These are the eggs I got from Nikki. So sweet. 5 have hatched so far, I'm not sure if the 6th is going to hatch.

They're all white, except for one 'oops' baby, which I assume is the offspring of her half polish that was in the white pen. Still so so cute! He has foot feathering and black skin, but only 4 toes per foot and a recognizable polish shaped head. I'm sure he will be a cutie! Even my dad, who usually doesn't care about my birds, thinks that these chicks are the cutest he's seen
smile.png

Oh, and we got 4 1/2 inches of rain last night. That plus the runoff from the pasture has brought our pond up to it's original 4 acre glory
yesss.gif
! It was wayyy down, maybe to only 2 or 3 acres.
These ladies and their adoptive babies are just too cute!!!
love.gif

OK, I am looking for advice/insight/experiences/something...I have one styrofoam Hovobator with turner I incubate in that runs a steady 99-100 with good humidity. I pencil date my eggs and also mark a calendar and am careful on timing. I hardly open it till I need to move eggs to hatch. I have an LG styrofoam I transfer on day 18 to hatch. The LG runs a steady 100-101 and 65% humidity. When I transfer the eggs to hatch in the LG I do not open/fiddle until there are chicks dry (about 12-20 hours later) to remove them. I do candle during the "move" and see great development, good air sac, and movement.

My problem...I get maybe 40% hatch rate...and especially I have BB Ameraucana Roo over 2 Blue Splash Hens that have a great thick shell...these especially are difficult to hatch and I am so frustrated with my problem of getting great % of pipping out of these and then they just stop...they will rock just a little with noise/light stimulation...but just stop and die in shell...after 20-30 0r more hours of being pipped...Whats up??? I have tried "helping" after a day or two of them being pipped but this always ends terribly!!! I leave them also and eventually they just die with a great pip hole...not drowning and not shrink wrapping (until they lay there days at least)....any ideas?

This has went on for many hatches...so frustrating to get the babies this far to keep having these just quit.die at pip....
hu.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
patsy...make sure the incubators are elevated also...not flat on a surface....i have a couple of small 1" wide strips of wood under mine to elevate it. helps the air flow....

Lower the humidity in the hatcher....

have you tried to hatch without moving them to the LG?

Hey folks, I'm looking for Delawares - does anyone here breed or have them? They don't need to be particularly great strains, I'm just hoping to avoid ordering from hatcheries. I don't have the resources/supplies to hatch my own but would happily buy chicks, juveniles or adults (preferably that would breed and set).

OK this is an EE--love the colors. Boy or girl? I have had the hardest time catching pictures of the bird! I have not heard it cock a doodle do yet. Again it does seem my prettiest birds keep turning out to be boys!!! You might not be able to tell from these pictures.

Here are some pics of my babies ... my 2 week bantams.

My cochin that is certainly the ring leader. It does not have tail feathers--is that normal for cochins?

My self blue old english named Special because she IS special!

This one has a comb already!

Back
Top Bottom