South Carolina

Alright! Another spot saved!
I am telling you, if I can get Kimberly and Nicole out the door by 4:30 we will hit the road then!

Oh Yancy, it says it doesn't start until 9 am but when I get there that late (even 8 am) there are tons of people already shopping so I plan to be ready to sell by 7 am. I have so many birds to deliver and cages and meal worms that it may take me all morning to get them organized for the right folks anyhow.

Thank you, Miss Mary! I love your creamed honey! I hoard it back to keep my family from eating it up from me. I shared a jar of jelly Kimberly gave us and it was gone in a few days. It was great though!
Lets see...Mary,Amy and Kimberly,Yancy,Walt,Me and Mom...who am I missing for spot saving...we may be going up the night before and getting a room so we can be early!!!

If this month were not so crazy busy and we had not had such a stressful chicken week, I would try to convince Lou Ann we needed to go to Chickenstock. I really want a Blue Orpington since we lost my Anastasia. I think if I mention a new chicken right now, she may kill me, however, we are getting rid of our SLW's so there is room for one more...

Our nice calm little chicken world that we had last summer was just a way to let us foolishly think chicken raising was easy and stress-free! This last week has been a different story. We had a Buff Orp that was free ranging and seemed to have gotten choked on something, which is what I am pretty sure happened. She kept coughing and just not acting right. She got some water, and then ate some oatmeal, and the coughing sound stopped. She still, however, did not seem quite right. Her comb was pale and I had been noticing the Buff Orps combs being pale more this summer, but was blaming it on the heat. Hers was definitely more pale than the others.
The next day, she was still lethargic, but eating and drinking well. No cough. I was holding her and decided to check her for bugs (which I had not donein a couple of weeks) and she had lice for sure, and most likely mites, too. We immediately dusted her and everyone else. We found bugs on all the Orps and our Americauna mostly. The newer Orps did not have any we could see, but those mites are tiny little buggers. I also planned to get some Ivermectin to treat the flock.
24 hours later, no visible bugs, but Nina, the unwell Orp was still not great. She was still pale, laying around, but eating and drinking well. She seems to have a little bit of a rattle sound in her throat, but clear eyes and nose. We have her separated from the others. The next morning, I feed her scrambled eggs and spinach which she devours. But still, she is pale. Now, this is the day it all gets crazy. Not to be outdone, Mrs Beasley, another Buff Orp, decides to lay a shell-less egg and then have a prolapsed vent. Time for chicken gynecology! Thank goodness for BYC! We got her cleaned up, vent put back right and decided to put her in with Nina. The next day, Mrs Beasley still had a small prolapse, but it was better. We cleaned her up again and used honey for the swelling, which I had read about. It seemed to do the trick. She has actually laid twice now and is still okay so far.
All have now been treated with Ivermectin. Coop is being emptied today and sprayed down. New roosts are going in. Nest boxes are being scrubbed.
Nina is still pale, but no longer rattling. She is however, shaking her head a lot. I am wondering if she still has some mites on her head. It makes me think of my dachshund when she has something in her ear.
In the midst of all the coop work today, I am trying to pack to go to the beach for five days, it is finally vacation time. I know Lou Ann wants everyone to be well so she can avoid any crisis this week while I am gone!

Well hubby just shot a coyote in the front yard.  They got a hold of our Dashhound on Thursday and chewed her up pretty good.  I am surprised she got away.  He said there were 4 just out in the front yard about 50 feet from our where our truck was parked.  This is the first time we have seen them that close.   I am sure glad I always put my chickens in at night!  :th

I am so glad he was able to get the coyote. We have a mini doxie and they are fearless. I cannot believe there was a whole pack! Our neighbor shot 6 coyotes earlier this summer over a five week period and we live in a residential area,
I hope your doxie is okay. I love those dogs!!

Well hubby just shot a coyote in the front yard. They got a hold of our Dashhound on Thursday and chewed her up pretty good. I am surprised she got away. He said there were 4 just out in the front yard about 50 feet from our where our truck was parked. This is the first time we have seen them that close. I am sure glad I always put my chickens in at night!
th.gif

Unreal! I am so glad he got the horrid thing before it got your birds.
So sorry it hurt your dog. We have a dachshund, too but she is never outside unless we are.
So many folks tell me not to chain my Great Pyr because a pack of coyotes will kill her. I have yet to see a pack around here but we have seen one a mile up the road.
Our problem is foxes! I have lost 15 white Leghorns, some Speckled Sussex and Welsummers to the blame foxes while the dog is sound asleep about 50 ft away and loose!
I sat back behind the barn one morning to see if I could nail them but they are crafty and I barely glimpsed them. I have taken to chaining the dog along the fence line during the day so her scent will be there and for a week now it has worked but she did bust the chain going after something the other day and I finally found her tangled in the fence barking her head off. I just need to get a younger one that she can train and figure out how to keep her on the property. A 4 ft fence with barb wire at the top does not stop this 150 lb dog. And she does me no good laying in the neighbors yard.

Hope your pup mends well and those nasty critters never return!

I am not selling a thing- but I sure am coming up to visit!!!!! Lincolnton isn't that terribly far. I can't wait to see everyone. Should I wear a nametag that says "Just Reebok"? Is anyone else wearing their BYC stuff??

Back
Top Bottom