Southern CA: 2 mallard ducklings needing a home

They are ducklings from wild mallard eggs and they can't be released when they are grown? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I've seen a single mallard duck raised by humans having difficulty joining wild ones, but eventually the duck will start imitating what the wild ducks do and become one of them. As long as they are released during warm weather; where there are other ducks in mostly predator-proof water with walk-up land; that are staying in that location both day and night at the time; they should do fine. Their natural instincts will kick in and they will learn to fly. That observation is from years and years of caring for dumped ducks, both domestic and wild, in a city park. A mallard duckling raised with at least one more will make a faster transition, too, because it knows it is a duck, not a person. It is their birthright to be released and free.

Last edited:
Two mallard eggs were orphaned when the mother died... I rescued them, incubated them, and hatched them. They have imprinted on me. They are currently 3 weeks old. I found out that even though they have never been in the wild since they were hatched here, they are still considered wild. So I have been looking into wildlife rescue centers; however, a lot of wildlife rescues that I emailed are saying they don’t know if the birds will be able to be released into the wild. And I found that the California wildlife says that human imprinted ducks are one of the non-releasable conditions... if they can’t be given to a educational center then they can be euthanized.

So instead of being killed or having to be passed around to different places, I’m thinking another option would be to rehouse them with a loving, duck-experienced person who is willing to give them a forever home, since it is not looking like my city allows ducks.
Is there anyone in Southern California that is an experienced duck owner willing to give two mallard ducklings (3 weeks old) a forever home? :)
Please call me! I might be able to help. Zoe (303) 506-8478 I’m in Topanga

Back
Top Bottom