Southern Gals, Would Like Recipes Please

pips&peeps

There is no "I" in Ameraucana
Jan 18, 2008
Newman Lake, WA
I am looking for a couple good recipes for ham hocks and navy beans and for chicken n dumplins.

If you have anything you would like to add please do. I was raised in Southern Missouri and am missing some of the things my mom and grandma used to make.

Thanks

No southern cookin here but I thought I would say hi.
frow.gif

Southern Girls don't do recipes because they never measure anything..... they learn from watching their Grandmothers....haha j/k

lol.png

pips&peeps :

I am looking for a couple good recipes for ham hocks and navy beans and for chicken n dumplins.

If you have anything you would like to add please do. I was raised in Southern Missouri and am missing some of the things my mom and grandma used to make.

Thanks

My grandmother made ham hocks and navy beans. I don' t remember her doing anything more then cooking the beans in water with the ham hocks. Sorry.

As far as chicken and dumplings. I would LOVE to make my grandmother's chicken and dumplings. She did not make those round dumplings(I Like them, they just weren't hers) She used her normal biscuit recipe, rolled it out flat and cut strips(sort of like noodles) and dropped them into her broth. But every time I try this my dumplins dissolve. ANd I get chicken mush. So, I am stuck with chicken and round dumplings.
hit.gif

okay, here is a recipe with a picture of dumplings that look similar to my grandmother's.

http://southerncuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/grandmas_chicken_and_dumplings

I think that the author puts an egg in her flat dumpling dough. mmmm....maybe that is what grandma did. She also told me just to make biscuit dough but who knows, she was the sort to leave out all types of important information when you asked for recipes.

Last edited:
Here is my favorite recipe for slider-style dumplings:

Pat's Dumplings (Pat is my cousin)

INGREDIENTS
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water

DIRECTIONS
Mix together flour and salt. Cut shortening into flour/salt mixture using a pastry blender, fork or two knives. Stir in water to form a soft dough.
On a floured surface, roll out dough very thin with a rolling pin. Cut into 1 inch wide strips (I use a pizza cutter, but a sharp knife works also). Tear 1 inch long pieces of dough from these strips and drop into simmering broth.
Cook 10 minutes with the pot lid off, then 10 minutes more with the lid on. Serve with the broth and chicken meat, if using.

Have the chicken broth at a simmer - NOT a rolling boil - that will prevent the dumplings from falling apart into a mush.

Sorry, but I don't think there were ham hocks and navy beans in my family. Now, ham hocks and pinto beans - yes!

Here is a recipe from Southernfood.About.com for pintos and ham hocks. Just sub the navy beans for the pintos. Be sure you soak the beans over night and do not add salt to taste until the beans are completely cooked. This is for the crock pot, but you could simmer the beans and ham in a large pot covered with water for a couple of hours, check that the beans are done and simmer some more if needed.

Pintos and Ham Hocks

A basic southern-style pinto bean recipe, cooked in the slow cooker.
Ingredients:
2 cups dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
2 smoked ham hocks
1 bay leaf
water
Preparation:
Place beans and ham hocks in Crock Pot with bay leaf. Cover with water. Cook 6 to 8 hours on high. No need to season because ham hocks give dish flavor. (But taste and add salt if needed.)
Serve with cornbread!

I just made ham and bean soup this weekend. We received a fabulous bone in ham for x-mas and I saved the stock and bones from that to make it. If you don't have that another thing you can use is ham hocks, if you don't see them packaged in your store ask at the meat department for them. I use 2 of them to make a nice "stock". Your beans you buy are your preference I get the navy beans in a bag and soak them overnight in water. I usually have our bean soup at lunchtime so the next morning I drain the water from the beans and pick out any that don't look right (brown/black/etc) and then put the beans and ham hocks in a pot covered with water and boil the water and then turn down the heat and simmer for about 3hours. When done I put my cornbread crumbled in the bottom of my bowl, add the soup and top with diced onions! Soooo yummy!!!

might not be southern but chicken and dumplins made with tortillas are great.....also add a can of cream.....yumo....and ham hocks and navy beans....bring your beans and water to boil with 2 hocks then put a lid on and simmer and cook for about 4 hours....yumo too....with a pan of cornbread and pepper sauce

Back
Top Bottom