Southern Maine Bourbon Reds?

I'm in Strafford, NH, not far from the border. This year I raised Broad-breasted Bronzes (and many chickens), but planning on Bourbon Reds next year. Will you be selling poults in the spring?

You are not far at all, I am on the NH line.

If hatching goes well, I may sell. Right now I am just starting and am only keeping my tom and hen. This year was a trial for me, my goal was for the tom and hen to raise them naturally, all went well, but it was a late start. I purchased my tom in March and was not prepared and lost the first hatch to fox. The second hatch wasn't until late June. I didn't have any luck with the incubator, but may next year.

How did you like the BB Bronze? Are they like the BB white? I like this breed ALOT better than the BB white, atleast for raising. I am not sure of the meat yet, I haven't slaughtered any. Will let you know later if the babies don't sell.

Karen

The Broad Breasted Bronzes were nice to raise. They are docile, friendly, and get along well with the chickens. The smallest is about 30 lbs now at 5-6 months old. I bought them at 2-3 days old for about $5.50 each from a feed store. Straight run resulted in 3 hens and a Tom. We've got them to roost with the chickens in a secure coop at night to keep them safe from predators. We have everything here: bear, coyote, fox, bobcat, fishers and weasels... as we are surrounded by forest.

Back
Top Bottom