Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Morning All
Congratulations Mr. And Mrs. SMKCHIK.....what a beautiful couple.
Welcome messipaw to the family. Man have we been expanding lately.how great is this.
Donna I have an idea for a shirt. The " Fuzzy-Butt Sisterhood". Three chicks with their butts in the air with red floppy hats on.
Sunday is lock down for my Aruacans . Everyone keep their fingers crossed. So far of the 16 she sent 5 do not look to be fertile.
Spent the day with my son. When did he become a man.he won about 300 dollars while I was with him. If he goes home with it is another story.
Heather the pond is a beauty. Tell those Texans that your girls are just koi that have dragged themselves onto land and grown feathers. Show them the scales on their legs for proof.Darwinism at its finest.

Smkchick, Congratulations to you and Bobby on your wedding! What a lovely couple you are! I am so very happy for you. I'm glad Miss Penny decided to crash the festivities!
D.gif

So I have a question...and it seems like I see different reports. Can eggs change in color? Or more specifically can color be washed off? I know I read that Marans coloring can change through the cycle and that when you wash eggs they might change color slightly and look wet etc...vs when they are dry. But the other day I got an egg that kind of looked like it was half brown and half cream...then today I got an egg that looked green (I was super excited to have two colored eggs today) and ofcourse it wasn't in the nest box and had gotten dirty so I went to wipe it clean and rinse it off...only to have it look almost blue/green and light now. I was under the assumption that the girls would have the same exact coloring almost every egg with the exception of a few oddities every once in awhile. Is it just because they are all new layers?

Thanks Ladies :)

So I have a question...and it seems like I see different reports. Can eggs change in color? Or more specifically can color be washed off? I know I read that Marans coloring can change through the cycle and that when you wash eggs they might change color slightly and look wet etc...vs when they are dry. But the other day I got an egg that kind of looked like it was half brown and half cream...then today I got an egg that looked green (I was super excited to have two colored eggs today) and ofcourse it wasn't in the nest box and had gotten dirty so I went to wipe it clean and rinse it off...only to have it look almost blue/green and light now. I was under the assumption that the girls would have the same exact coloring almost every egg with the exception of a few oddities every once in awhile. Is it just because they are all new layers?

Thanks Ladies :)
I've had some eggs lighten up in color when washed. My understanding is that the coloring is sort of semi-permanent. And early in the laying cycle, my girls would lay eggs that varied in color.

Messipaw, I have a red star (golden comet) who is my best layer and one of my friendliest chickens.

Back
Top Bottom