Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Sounds like everyone who was able to go to the show had a good time! I wish that I could have gone too, and met many of you. I'm hoping that everyone is doing well this gray Monday morning.

This weekend, the Barbu d'Anvers chicks had their one week old graduation mealworm party to celebrate new wing & butt feathers.

Tug-of-worm! Both of these babies want the mealworm.

chixworm_zps9ec4c85d.jpg

Here's the whole group. The jumbo blond "Baby Huey" chick in the back row is Elmer, who is so friendly that he hogs the limelight in all the other pics, a total attention hog!

chixelmerstar_zps0ee040d0.jpg

The babies and I are sending everyone good vibes for an easy Monday!

Last edited:
I picked up a Partridge Silkie from Vera at the show in Sussex. I'm happy to report the chick is doing fine. Now. I set her up in the brooding pen in the coop with food, water and a heater and everything was going along fine. She was eating, drinking and pooping.

Well, apparently last evening between my check-ins, she squeezed herself out of the pen. I went out to check on everyone and lock up the coop and she wasn't in there. I freaked out - it was dark and raining and cold. Fortunately, my dog (who is used to the chickens and thinks she's one of the flock) found her curled up in a ball, wet and cold on the patio.

I rushed her inside and wrapped her in a dry washcloth and my heating pad and after a very scary 10 minutes or so she started peeping a little. I mixed up some SavAChick and was able to get a little into her with an oral syringe. She perked up immediately. I kept her in the heating pad and kept giving her the electrolyte solution. She was finally able to hold her head up and was cheeping for real. I fixed up a small box with a heat lamp, food and the electrolyte solution.

Today she's fine. Eating like crazy again. She'll stay inside with me until the weather is a little nicer and she get's a little bigger. Then we'll try the brooding pen again.

I haven't named her yet. I was thinking of Doris or Penelope, but I think I may go with Gloria, after Gloria Gaynor. ("I Will Survive").

Whew.
th.gif

On top of all that, my back has started to spasm. I never experienced anything like this before. It's like being stuck randomly with an electric cattle prod. Last night was a misery. I took some ibuprofen despite the havoc it wreaks on my stomach and that has helped a little. Very little. This is going to be a fun day....not.

(PS It was very hard for me to share the chick story. I feel incredibly guilty about the whole thing. I have no idea how she got out of the pen.)
I am so glad she is doing well, I was thinking of her this morning. Try not to feel guilty, they do pretty silly things some times.

Last edited:
I'm so glad to hear the show was fun and productive. I wish I could have gone, maybe next year!

My little guys communion came off with no problems, except rain, and the party yesterday was good-the food was good, and the place we had it at did a great job of everything. My son had fun, and now I have a little less stress-until I think about the fact that we leave in 4 days for east Durham!

I just opened my windows to let the steamy air in...and heard CROWING from the SILKIE PEN!!! I am pretty sure it's our grey/blue sweetie, who is so darned sweet, I'm going to keep him until someone notices his crow is actually a crow-those silkies crows are not exactly a cock-a-doodle-do. My oldest son heard it and now he's got dreams of more silkies in his head. (Because I need more chickens like I need a hole in my head)

My husband has named my BCM baby, "Sweet Brown" and now it's caught on, and she actually answers.
th.gif
She's living with the silkies and getting along famously-now that she's bigger than Peri...Peri has been behaving, I think someone in the pen must have delivered a smack down, and now she's just insane, not criminally insane. I love the little muppets so much-I pick up two or three at a time and cuddle them like puppies and they just beep at me. Love them. Love.

Lovey is back to laying, her babies are part of the flock, and they are SO cute I can't stand it. Speckles and Freckles they are called, and the kids love feeding them-they're like little butterflies, flitting in and out of the picture. Very cute.

Cheeky Chick, I love your chicken updates! I'm glad your son's communion went well, too. Your silkies sound adorable! I bet the rooster is just dear, and maybe nobody will notice it's an actual crow. "Sweet Brown" is a cute name for your Marans! I'm working to accustom my new Barbu d'Anvers babies. Got any tips? Sounds like your chickens are so easy to handle!

We had a nice time at the Sussex show and it was great to meet so many of you in person. There was lots of hugging going on yesterday!

I have really nice news to share...Lindsey participated in the show and was surprised with several big wins. She is one happy gal! All the trials and tribulations that I have gone through this past year trying to get her started with silkies, was worth all the effort. I am totally exhausted... but am already planning to bring Lindz back for the fall show.

Here is how Lindsey's birds placed:
RB - Splash Silkie
BV - Partridge
1st - Partridge
2nd- Partridge
BV - Blue
1st - Blue
BV - Black
BV - Black sizzle
BB - Nankin
RB - Nankin
thumbsup.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
bun.gif
highfive.gif

Need I say more!!!
Congratulations!!!!!

Hi everyone, out of the 15 shipped eggs I got over a week ago, seems as if 6 may be viable. 4 were cracked, and 3 had nothing going on. The rest I am leaving under them but of those, only 6 looked very promising. Keeping my fingers crossed I get a few female cochins out of this. For my broody australorps sake and mine.
bow.gif

I picked up a Partridge Silkie from Vera at the show in Sussex. I'm happy to report the chick is doing fine. Now. I set her up in the brooding pen in the coop with food, water and a heater and everything was going along fine. She was eating, drinking and pooping.

Well, apparently last evening between my check-ins, she squeezed herself out of the pen. I went out to check on everyone and lock up the coop and she wasn't in there. I freaked out - it was dark and raining and cold. Fortunately, my dog (who is used to the chickens and thinks she's one of the flock) found her curled up in a ball, wet and cold on the patio.

I rushed her inside and wrapped her in a dry washcloth and my heating pad and after a very scary 10 minutes or so she started peeping a little. I mixed up some SavAChick and was able to get a little into her with an oral syringe. She perked up immediately. I kept her in the heating pad and kept giving her the electrolyte solution. She was finally able to hold her head up and was cheeping for real. I fixed up a small box with a heat lamp, food and the electrolyte solution.

Today she's fine. Eating like crazy again. She'll stay inside with me until the weather is a little nicer and she get's a little bigger. Then we'll try the brooding pen again.

I haven't named her yet. I was thinking of Doris or Penelope, but I think I may go with Gloria, after Gloria Gaynor. ("I Will Survive").

Whew.
th.gif

On top of all that, my back has started to spasm. I never experienced anything like this before. It's like being stuck randomly with an electric cattle prod. Last night was a misery. I took some ibuprofen despite the havoc it wreaks on my stomach and that has helped a little. Very little. This is going to be a fun day....not.

(PS It was very hard for me to share the chick story. I feel incredibly guilty about the whole thing. I have no idea how she got out of the pen.)
Suzanne don't beat yourself up. I've had worse happen and won't even go into it. I had some guilt trip going on.
We can't foresee "every" obstacle so we do the best we can and learn from our mistakes. We do mean well and put a lot of effort into it. I'm so glad your peep make it out of trouble and is doing well.

Sounds like everyone who was able to go to the show had a good time! I wish that I could have gone too, and met many of you. I'm hoping that everyone is doing well this gray Monday morning.

This weekend, the Barbu d'Anvers chicks had their one week old graduation mealworm party to celebrate new wing & butt feathers.

Tug-of-worm! Both of these babies want the mealworm.

chixworm_zps9ec4c85d.jpg

Here's the whole group. The jumbo blond "Baby Huey" chick in the back row is Elmer, who is so friendly that he hogs the limelight in all the other pics, a total attention hog!

chixelmerstar_zps0ee040d0.jpg

The babies and I are sending everyone good vibes for an easy Monday!
Oh boy aren't they cute!

Thanks, Mags! The babies just had their first outdoors "field trip" with us all sitting in the sunshine in the grass in a little playpen I made. What fun chicks can be! At first, they refused to get off my lap!
love.gif

What amazing weather, huh, everybody? I hope we're all able to enjoy some of this today. Can you believe we're nearly upon June already?
th.gif
Has anyone got any interesting summer plans? Gardening, travel, fishing, visits? Anything planned with the chooks?
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom