Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Sounds like everyone who was able to go to the show had a good time! I wish that I could have gone too, and met many of you. I'm hoping that everyone is doing well this gray Monday morning. This weekend, the Barbu d'Anvers chicks had their one week old graduation mealworm party to celebrate new wing & butt feathers. Tug-of-worm! Both of these babies want the mealworm.
chixworm_zps9ec4c85d.jpg
Here's the whole group. The jumbo blond "Baby Huey" chick in the back row is Elmer, who is so friendly that he hogs the limelight in all the other pics, a total attention hog!
chixelmerstar_zps0ee040d0.jpg
The babies and I are sending everyone good vibes for an easy Monday!
These babies are too cute. I applaud your photography skill, I can't get my chicks to ever stay still for good decent pictures, let alone a family photo.
Thanks, Mags! The babies just had their first outdoors "field trip" with us all sitting in the sunshine in the grass in a little playpen I made. What fun chicks can be! At first, they refused to get off my lap!
love.gif
What amazing weather, huh, everybody? I hope we're all able to enjoy some of this today. Can you believe we're nearly upon June already?
th.gif
Has anyone got any interesting summer plans? Gardening, travel, fishing, visits? Anything planned with the chooks?
pop.gif
I realized last week that I am poked every weekend until the end of July. Crazy year with four weddings (all outside ny) my daughters christening, my sisters engagement party, and a vacation to lake George and one to North Carolina. It's going to be crazy busy. As soon as I come back though, it's incubator break in time. Hope everyone has some vacation plans coming up :) sounds like a bunch of us need some R&R. Enjoy the heat.

Warmheart, wow, what adorable chicks! Love them! Good photo skills.
Suzanne, that chick is just one con artist for cuddles. She pulled that on Vera and got snuggled for over an hour. Now she gets TLC from you. Please don't blame yourself. What about the name Pauline as in, the perils of Pauline?
Donna, I'm sorry your eggs were cracked. Seems like some people spend more time on the wrapping than others.
BQ, I am actually moving to Texas in about 30days so if you want to chat face to face let me know. If you're going to Bennies already you'll do fine though.

On a completely unrelated note, if any of you want a pair of circa 1990 cross country skis with size 42 boots let me know. I can hook you up for free. Lol. I also have some cleats, a pair of timberlands and old sneakers. Size 9 men's or 10.5 womens.

Sallysec, wow, that's a busy summer you've got planned! I hope your travel and family events are all enjoyable and that the memories from these will bring you lots of joy. What are you gonna put in your 'bator when things settle down for you?

Imprfctme, I hope that your clearing out, packing, and organizing is going smoothly for you. May this transition have just the right feel for you, and may it feel exactly like "Home" as soon as you arrive and settle in!

Thank you both for the compliments, but I didn't take the photos. My fiance did! The Barbu d'Anvers babies enjoyed their first outdoors field trip yesterday, as we all enjoyed the grass and sunshine in a moveable playpen I made for them. What sweet little charmers. I am in love!

PS-- How often do you folks usually handle your baby chicks to accustom them to handling, and to encourage them to be tame, and enjoy being held as adult birds? I am totally new to having baby chicks! Sorry if I've asked before. I'm hoping to make each baby feel loved, wanted, and comfortable occasionally being gently handled.

Sallysec, wow, that's a busy summer you've got planned! I hope your travel and family events are all enjoyable and that the memories from these will bring you lots of joy. What are you gonna put in your 'bator when things settle down for you?

Imprfctme, I hope that your clearing out, packing, and organizing is going smoothly for you. May this transition have just the right feel for you, and may it feel exactly like "Home" as soon as you arrive and settle in!

Thank you both for the compliments, but I didn't take the photos. My fiance did! The Barbu d'Anvers babies enjoyed their first outdoors field trip yesterday, as we all enjoyed the grass and sunshine in a moveable playpen I made for them. What sweet little charmers. I am in love!

PS-- How often do you folks usually handle your baby chicks to accustom them to handling, and to encourage them to be tame, and enjoy being held as adult birds? I am totally new to having baby chicks! Sorry if I've asked before. I'm hoping to make each baby feel loved, wanted, and comfortable occasionally being gently handled.
I handle the chicks every day, even if it's for just a few minutes. My kids have their paws on them all the time. I find that giving them treats from my hand is more effective in taming. My big girls still gather close for hand treats, but don't like being held much (unless you're a BO named Lovey...she could sit with me for hours) The silkies are different-they prefer to be held close, they like their treats on the ground. I tend to think they can really see them in my hands-they're more apparent on the ground.

Those babies are SO SWEET. I'd have the whole pack on my lap. They seem to need baby talk and cuddles.

Two days until we leave for the Annual Irish pilgrimage. My tenant (good friend) is all ready to watch the girls, the cat and Satan, the Cocka-evil-tiel. The dogs are bathed and ready to go with us-they LOVE camping. Dropped hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, steak...and plenty of off leash time on country fields-they bounce when we pull into the Irish Heritage center! My kids are happily helping me pack up the camper, This morning I take the truck in for an oil change, and to check the coolant tank-it seems to have a leak. Want to make sure it's in tip top ready to go shape!

I hope everyone has a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend!

I handle the chicks every day, even if it's for just a few minutes. My kids have their paws on them all the time. I find that giving them treats from my hand is more effective in taming. My big girls still gather close for hand treats, but don't like being held much (unless you're a BO named Lovey...she could sit with me for hours) The silkies are different-they prefer to be held close, they like their treats on the ground. I tend to think they can really see them in my hands-they're more apparent on the ground. 

Those babies are SO SWEET. I'd have the whole pack on my lap. They seem to need baby talk and cuddles. 

Two days until we leave for the Annual Irish pilgrimage. My tenant (good friend) is all ready to watch the girls, the cat and Satan, the Cocka-evil-tiel. The dogs are bathed and ready to go with us-they LOVE camping. Dropped hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, steak...and plenty of off leash time on country fields-they bounce when we pull into the Irish Heritage center! My kids are happily helping me pack up the camper, This morning I take the truck in for an oil change, and to check the coolant tank-it seems to have a leak. Want to make sure it's in tip top ready to go shape! 

I hope everyone has a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend!

Sounds like fun , enjoy your family time.

I also hold the chicks daily and feed from my hand special treats like grapes etc. my big girls come running when I walk out with my hand cupped. My husband tells me they talk to him every morning if he goes out are back door (usually to let the dogs out) . I am noticing that they don't like to be snuggled as much but they like to sit on my feet....it's odd. I sometimes go out in sandals and they think my painted toes are treats and try to peck them. I've found they will do anything for scratch so we keep it locked in the house for special treats. I had my first soft shelled egg. I put some yogurt in the run with oyster shells mixed in. They have it free choice but I am assuming someone didn't eat it.

Hi Warmheart,

I held my 4 year old Buff orpington chicks often and they are the sweetest chickens. The 5 out of 8 (3 died
hit.gif
) that are still with me LOVE to snuggle, every single one. They snuggle into my hair like a chick would it's mother's down and run and fight to be first on my lap. I can't believe how tame they are, they will sunbathe on me and preen like I'm not even there. It's wonderful holding them and de-stresses me like nothing else can.

I think hanging around them, feeding treats and taking great care of them will earn their trust.

I even had a one year old Buff orp that my broody raised, turn the corner and go from being "mean Jean" to just plain "jean". She would peck my hand every time I went near her and frankly, frightened me but not anymore. She now will tolerate being held and coos when I do and will even jump into my lap on occasion.

Enjoy your little babies, they are adorable!!!

You ladies are WONDERFUL for being so kind, so generous with your chick-taming guidance! Thank you so very, very much for taking time out of your busy day to share your experiences with me. What great chick-Mommas you all are, with such lucky baby chicks and chickens! I'm learning much from you. Thank you so much!
hugs.gif

Hi Everyone! Welcome Newbies!
welcome-byc.gif

Today, Wed, 22nd, 2 page article in Newsday on.......
D.gif

Very cute! North Fork Hen House tour on June 15th with details. One recommendation, if you are planning on going, bring booties so as not to bring home any unwelcome critters or diseases, Also, remove clothes and wash before going to visit your own chickens.

Thinking about it, if nothing else is going on with the family etc.

I've been so busy in the garden. Today and tomorrow are my biggest days with the clouds making it cooler and better on the plants for transplanting. Yesterday was way too hot for me.
somad.gif

I have so many questions about the summer and the chickens. Will put together a comprehensive list to ask you all since it is my first summer with them.

Regards to all!

Irene

Thanks to everyone who checked out our partridge silkie cock for sale. He is going to a new home this week. For some reason, I can not close that classified and open a new one. So, if anyone is interested we now have a 4 week old PQ partridge in need of a good pet home. Please PM if you are interested.

I hope everyone is doing well today. This heat is unreal. I decided to leave the coop window open over night tonight so they can have a bit more air. I stapled both garden wire and hardware wire to the inside of the window. I hope it is enough to keep the critters out. I am sure the fox, coyote, weasel, and possum will not be able to get in, but I worry about those racoons and their strong little hands. Mostly though, I am worried about the bear that visits us on most nights. I can't picture a bear climbing into a reasonably secured coop window, but the promise of a chicken dinner does tend to motivate an apex predator. I can't let them suffocate though. I will be putting in some new (high on the walls) vent windows for the summer this weekend, so we just have to make it through the next few days. This bear is so big. Last week it walked up to my deck, reached over the rails (they are well over my head when I stand in the garden), grabbed my garbage can and lifted it over the railing. This is the first time in 4 years we have had one go for our garbage, because we don't really put much in the trash (between recycling and composting) and that it is so close to the house, but we just cleaned out the fridge, so it must have smelled very tasty.

Back
Top Bottom