Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Yes they saw them :(
They showed up around dusk so all of the girls were hanging out by the coop and I didn't have time to hide them. If they had only come earlier most of them would have been under my deck. I'm going to move all but 6 into the basement for a month. I'm just nervous that they will come again later on now that they know I have chickens. I'm gonna try to bribe my brother who lives down the block from me to let me put a coop in his yard to house 6 of my girls. I can walk over and care for them everyday. He gets free eggs from me all the time so maybe he let me. It's just his wife might not go for it.

So sorry to hear of your troubles with animal control... I'd put them in basement too!
Hope it works out for you

I've had a terrible few days. I just came back from rehab and found out that one of my chickens was attacked and mostly eaten by some predator and then if that wasn't enough... Two days later a hawk came down and killed Nutmeg ( I'm sooo sorry Heather) I'm really distraught I never thought I would get so caught up with the chickens. Actually we are all distraught. Hubby and all who was not into the chickens initially... I think it was having a cocktail hanging out in the veggie garden and watching them free range that changed his mind. He actually said we should get some more. So next spring I will look into it. Right now Toast and Jelly are very happy staying in their coop and run. I think they were a lot traumatised to see their buddies attacked.
On a different note how does everyone winterise their birds. I have an electric waterer. But some have mentioned putting up plywood as a wind barrier. I bought a heavy duty tarp... would that be enough or does it need to be plywood?

Awe, oaty, so sweet. Your babies here are in the introduction cage and everyone seems ok so far. They will go in the run today while the others range. I will leave some of the let pecking order birds in with them to make friends (my faverolles are my new bird ambadsadors).

How big does an introduction cage have to be? Just wondering for next spring
1f604.png

I've had a terrible few days. I just came back from rehab and found out that one of my chickens was attacked and mostly eaten by some predator and then if that wasn't enough... Two days later a hawk came down and killed Nutmeg ( I'm sooo sorry Heather) I'm really distraught I never thought I would get so caught up with the chickens. Actually we are all distraught. Hubby and all who was not into the chickens initially... I think it was having a cocktail hanging out in the veggie garden and watching them free range that changed his mind. He actually said we should get some more. So next spring I will look into it. Right now Toast and Jelly are very happy staying in their coop and run. I think they were a lot traumatised to see their buddies attacked.
On a different note how does everyone winterise their birds. I have an electric waterer. But some have mentioned putting up plywood as a wind barrier. I bought a heavy duty tarp... would that be enough or does it need to be plywood?
I'm so sorry for your losses. Predators are hungry this time of year, and with the trees thinning, prey is far more visible.

I don't winterize the coop-The hen house is closed up, one small window left open and the coop is left open-no matter what the weather-they need ventilation. During Hurricane Sandy, I did put up one board of Plywood on the exposed (Not tree and bush surrounded side, as a wind break, but took it down right after. Chickens are like any outside animal-they gradually get acclimated to the temps, and their feathers insulate them fine. As for the water-I *was* at first fretting about the waterer freezing and was dragging warm water out every day to thaw the waterer. Then I put it inside the henhouse, and the chickens generate body heat in there-and their water doesn't freeze so quickly-just a thin coating of ice and they love breaking it up. This year, I MIGHT put a light out there so they will have more daylight. I tried it last year, but the blizzards and bad weather ruined the cord. this year I'll draft the old man to help...
clap.gif

On another weather related note-they do LOVE snow!

I use a large dog crate. 

Oh what a good idea. I have a medium metal one that I could put in the run. Of course I'm getting ahead of myself now... I don't even have the chicks yet. Lol! Gotta get my hubby used to the new puppy first. Hopefully getting him next weekend. :)

Quote:
DH graduated from NFA in 81. I grew up in Eastchester; moved to New Windsor in 2003. Gotta do a really good deep cleaning of the coops this weekend. Thinking about the deep litter method for the winter. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Quote:
DH graduated from NFA in 81. I grew up in Eastchester; moved to New Windsor in 2003. Gotta do a really good deep cleaning of the coops this weekend. Thinking about the deep litter method for the winter. Thoughts? Suggestions?
'81, he's a baby.... I don't do deep litter so i cant help. There are several people on here that do although they haven't been on much.

Real sorry about your girls Hippy....I lost one of my beautiful EE last year around this time to a hawk.its just terrible.
I had extra wood and fencing left after the coop went up so my friend made me a small chicken tractor that I use as my intro/transition coop. I call it their. Cozy-coop. A dog crate will work well also.

Real sorry about your girls Hippy....I lost one of my beautiful EE last year around this time to a hawk.its just terrible.
I had extra wood and fencing left after the coop went up so my friend made me a small chicken tractor that I use as my intro/transition coop. I call it their. Cozy-coop. A dog crate will work well also.

I would love to see some photos of some tractors to get an idea what to ask my DH to build me me.
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom