Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Is it a lot of work?

It's not a lot of work at all. I have a small tub on my kitchen counter. Their bedding is also their food. I use corn meal, they come in bran meal. Which if you want to use you can get in any supermarket around here. Put in a potato or carrot and that's their water source. I check every few days to see if the veggies have gone moldy. Mealworms don't like mold. The beetles don't fly so they can be contained. I got my first beetle last night.

ep.gif
On the kitchen counter?! Haha my fiance won't go for that.
lau.gif

Jerseyhen, did I mention that there is a tractor supply only a couple of miles from the congress. I went last year on the way home.
Got my seeds from territorial.i can't wait. Now to chicken proof the gardens.

Hippy, there will be many people on herein the Spring with chicks, although its a great ride to meet Jersy for a swap.

Tractor supply is so much fun. The sussex store is only 10 miles from me so I am a regular...lol. My territorial seeds have not gotten here yet, maybe mine will arrive this week since you got yours.

We definitely need to have a spring swap!!! I will bring hot packs this time though so we can leave the chicks long enough to grab lunch or something...
Do you ever sell any of the chicks once hatched or do you just add them to your flock?
I am happy to sell and/or swap any that don't get added to the flock. This year I should have a surplus, it depends on how hatching goes.

Hi Queenchick, I'd love to meet in NJ for a swap. I think I'd like to drive up to Wethersfield to that seed place that jersey hen was talking about too and that's next Sunday. I can't drive to the poultry congress though because my husband doesn't think it's fair to put the work of new chickens on my kid's shoulders when we will be traveling at the end of the month... So I will have to wait (very impatiently) until the weather warms up.
It is funny that it is assumed that you will come home with chickens. I am hoping to come home with hatching eggs... lol. It gives me 21 days before I have to deal with chicks. I am not going to attempt to integrate new birds in the middle of winter, so I am pretty sure I won't come home with any adult birds. Although, I do have a tractor that could be used until spring... hmmm. Better find another reason not to bring home any adults.

So, what time are we meeting at the seed store? It is open from 10 - 4. Carol, when were you planning on returning from the congress? I suppose I should call the store to be sure they have their seeds out already. I imagine that since I got my baker's creek seeds (and that is who supplies them) that they may have it already to go. I will call tomorrow to be sure.

Last edited:
Christina, we will definitely see each other at the congress. We can figure it out then.
I forgot tO tell you that Blue Seal feed was there and had a show special on feed. Loretta and I came home with a few bags. I'm going to buy it early 'cause they ran out of scratch last year.
I bought 2 young silkies and things worked out fine for me last year.
I really want Araucanas. So I don't think I'll come home with anything this year.

Hippy, I don't know if you want to get hooked up with me. I have crazy road trips for just about anything. Chickens, antiques,seeds, organic turkeys, just to walk in the woods, etc.......Your husband will kill us.

Christina, we will definitely see each other at the congress. We can figure it out then.
I forgot tO tell you that Blue Seal feed was there and had a show special on feed. Loretta and I came home with a few bags. I'm going to buy it early 'cause they ran out of scratch last year.
I bought 2 young silkies and things worked out fine for me last year.
I really want Araucanas. So I don't think I'll come home with anything this year.

Hippy, I don't know if you want to get hooked up with me. I have crazy road trips for just about anything. Chickens, antiques,seeds, organic turkeys, just to walk in the woods, etc.......Your husband will kill us.
Carol, we have to support one another in our quests for adventure. The hubbies just don't always understand the fascination for these things. Mine tells me I am on my own with these projects, but never seems to mind eating the eggs, chickens, or veggies or baked goods that result though. Good think I am not skilled at knitting, crocheting, or sewing. I understand that yarns and fabrics can be as addictive. I think I need we all need little red hen shirts.

You would think that Wethersfield might have a few antique shops around that "historic area" near the seed store... maybe not, one can hope though. There is another seed store there though: Hart Seeds Co.

Carol, we have to support one another in our quests for adventure. The hubbies just don't always understand the fascination for these things. Mine tells me I am on my own with these projects, but never seems to mind eating the eggs, chickens, or veggies or baked goods that result though. Good think I am not skilled at knitting, crocheting, or sewing. I understand that yarns and fabrics can be as addictive. I think I need we all need little red hen shirts. 

You would think that Wethersfield might have a few antique shops around that "historic area" near the seed store... maybe not, one can hope though. There is another seed store there though: Hart Seeds Co. 

And of course I do have fabric and yarn addictions. I've been quilting like crazy latey. Unfortunately the stash isn't shrinking .
Married 35 years and my husband hates everyone of my hobbies.went to NYC yesterday , I was in a fabric store for about an hour and he was in the bar across the street watching football. Buy yet I can sit down and watch football like one of the guys.(I do love men in spandex).he has maybe been to a handful of antique shows.i camp in the Grand Tetons and Yellow stone and Richard and Adam stay at home and go to Broadway. Just how it is.

And of course I do have fabric and yarn addictions. I've been quilting like crazy latey. Unfortunately the stash isn't shrinking .
Married 35 years and my husband hates everyone of my hobbies.went to NYC yesterday , I was in a fabric store for about an hour and he was in the bar across the street watching football. Buy yet I can sit down and watch football like one of the guys.(I do love men in spandex).he has maybe been to a handful of antique shows.i camp in the Grand Tetons and Yellow stone and Richard and Adam stay at home and go to Broadway. Just how it is.
And this is why we have all found each other... lol. I do love the idea of fabric and yarn, I just don't have the time to commit to another hobby. I do have a sewing machine and crochet and knitting paraphernalia, but I have just not made the time. Maybe when the house remodel is done and I have fewer big projects in my head. For now seeds and chickens will have to do. When you come up for the sussex show plan some time to do some antiquing. I know about 15 or so shops near the fairgrounds that we could escape to for a few hours (if you like). There are usually a few flea markets on 206 as well (right down the road) that day.

And this is why we have all found each other... lol. I do love the idea of fabric and yarn, I just don't have the time to commit to another hobby. I do have a sewing machine and crochet and knitting paraphernalia, but I have just not made the time.  Maybe when the house remodel is done and I have fewer big projects in my head. For now seeds and chickens will have to do. When you come up for the sussex show plan some time to do some antiquing. I know about 15 or so shops near the fairgrounds that we could escape to for a few hours (if you like). There are usually a few flea markets on 206 as well (right down the road) that day. 

I'm there

You guys are awesome.. Lovin my chickens, my antiques, my crafts! My parents say my husband and I should be a working a farm or an animal sanctuary. Im a teacher and he works for Ford. I'm in the right place, even though I'm still mostly a listener!

Back
Top Bottom