Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Queenchick, it sounds like your garden is really producing well these days!
thumbsup.gif
I'll need to harvest the garlic here as the tops are turning yellow now.

I had no idea baby chicks could be so much fun, and turn into one's best friends! At 7 weeks old, the Barbu d'Anvers are becoming such great buddies!

Last edited:
Hello All,
I am a newbie around here and to chickens. I have just finished building my coop, and will be picking up my four girls tomorrow. I would like to purchase Sweet PDZ to use on poop boards, something I have read about on BYC. Does anyone have a ny source for this? I live in southern westchester, Mt Vernon. I have to be out on Long Island this weekend, and dont mind driving.

I also wonder if anyone here does the Deep litter method? That was my plan. Any thoughts? Insights?

Thanks so much!
Hello and Welcome!!! I live on the east end of Long Island and the PDZ can be purchased at Agway in Pt Jefferson Station or Riverhead as well as Neptune Feeds in Calverton. Keep us posted with your new girls!! Karen

It comes in either powder or granules, used to absorb odors and moisture.
Hey Rosie, I have some Marans eggs if you didn't come up with anything. If you did, you can chuck them under her as well just to see what happens...

PDZ is used as a stall refresher for horses it is supposed to keep the ammonia smell down and be natural non toxic etc. I used it when my own chickens were in the shed over winter and I liked it a lot. I also sprinkled some in my cats litter pan just to see if I noticed a difference. Didn't really notice a difference for the cat. Now that the girls are mostly in their coop which is much more open and the run I don't use it unless I am doing a full service clean.

http://www.sweetpdz.com/

Hey Roberta, I feel like an idiot candling. I swear I see nothing in these eggs...just a dark spot...any suggestions. I am using a brinsea candler I bought online. Am I better off waiting til a later date? They are five days in the incubator.

Hey Roberta, I feel like an idiot candling. I swear I see nothing in these eggs...just a dark spot...any suggestions. I am using a brinsea candler I bought online. Am I better off waiting til a later date? They are five days in the incubator.
dark spot is good. :)

just stopping in for a minute peoples......

Been busy with good things and the heat is now on so I'll be on a bit more. I just can't catch up so won't even try.

All is well and my 5 little chicks are all growing up at 8 weeks now.

My CL should be laying her blue egg sometime soon I hope.
Anyone need SFH roos? LOL I believe I have 3 roos of the 4 I hatched. ugh..................such is my luck. But OI did also get a nice Basque girl out of those eggs so now I have 1 of each.
Happy 4th of July!!!

I don't bother at 5 days. Too soon but yes, dark spot is good. If you've ever seen the chart of chick development, it's probably the eyes you see.
Or if you've ever had your husband leave eggs under a broody and didn't tell you, there is always a surprise when you make breakfast. Gag.

Back
Top Bottom