Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Semi newbie questions...

Our four 8 weekers have really taken to traveling on this holiday weekend vacation... Seemed to love the new country digs and clover... But I realize this exposes them to another flock and also the neighborhood wild turkeys...so my first question is, is there anything I should look out for in terms of symptoms in case they picked up anything?
At the moment they've never looked better and are eating like I've never seen before...
Question 2, is it possible their peeping presence could have inspired broodiness in one of the resident hens at our PA place ? Or is it just a coincidence that she decided to start now...?[/quote

You have to just keep an eye on them now. Healthy chickens can be carriers of different things .
Just watch them for now. It could start with something as simple as change in stool.but then again giving them watermelon could cause that..

Welcome Bryan . Beautiful set up. I hope your chicks arrive safely in this heat. I had terrible luck this passed spring with chicks sitting on tarmacs because of storms. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

Iwish I could do meat birds. I would just need someone to process them. Yes I am a hipocrite.i can't raise them then cull them. I'm sure this will get every one talking. I could raise them, give them the best 10 weeks a meat bird could ever want but I would have to have someone else do the deed for me.
Hey Queen,

I am not going to try and be a tough guy and say that it is not going to be tough, but a few years ago I got my first chicks and was very nervous and people said I was crazy. Years later I consider myself chicken veteran. I got the minimum number (15), if I back out I think I can find someone to process them.

Semi newbie questions...

Our four 8 weekers have really taken to traveling on this holiday weekend vacation... Seemed to love the new country digs and clover... But I realize this exposes them to another flock and also the neighborhood wild turkeys...so my first question is, is there anything I should look out for in terms of symptoms in case they picked up anything?
At the moment they've never looked better and are eating like I've never seen before...
Question 2, is it possible their peeping presence could have inspired broodiness in one of the resident hens at our PA place ? Or is it just a coincidence that she decided to start now...?
Hi Biogrady, I think it's always a risk letting chicks/chickens out other than areas they've been exposed to, it's quite possible they could pick something up. Then again, they could be out free ranging in your own yard and also pick something up from a wild bird. Who's to know.

I also believe that chirping sounds from baby chicks can start the broody cycle in other hens, makes sense to me.

Question..... Should I put the girls in the coop part or can I let them hang out down below at night?

Question..... Should I put the girls in the coop part or can I let them hang out down below at night?
They should sleep in the coop part because something can possibly get in or even grab one through the mesh or whatever it is you have on it. The more locked up they are, the better. Of course they need ventilation too though.

Hello Everyone,
I have had my four girls for less than a week now and we are getting to know each other, and I am working to figure out a system that works for upkeep of the coop and pen. My plan is to do DLM inside with poop trays full of sweet PDZ, spot clean the pine shavings, and scoop the poops regularly.

I am more unsure of what to do with the run. Right now it is a dirt floor. I am hoping to have a corner of it a small compost pile and have read other doing this, giving the girls access to the pile to stir it up and eat up bugs. I am just not sure what is best to keep the run clean and fly free. Should I be raking the area daily and scooping out poop? Does just running a rake over the area break up the poop enough for it to dry and break down? I was thinking I would add sand to make it easier to get poop out. It is not a large area, @ 45 square feet, so I know I will need to keep up with it frequently.

So, what do you all do to maintain your run? What are your additives if any? DE?

Here is a pic of my coop finally finished. Along with a pic of my four girls settling in!
We built the fun around a pine tree, that is what is coming our of the roof of the run. I started with the free plans from Purina Mills, and modified it to fit my needs. Tomorrow I am going to get some better pics of the coop with a front view. The coop is 4'x4'.

Here is a pic of my coop finally finished. Along with a pic of my four girls settling in!
We built the fun around a pine tree, that is what is coming our of the roof of the run. I started with the free plans from Purina Mills, and modified it to fit my needs. Tomorrow I am going to get some better pics of the coop with a front view. The coop is 4'x4'.

I'm sorry but I don't have advice to offer as mine somewhat free range. Rain helps to get rid of old chicken poop but if your is covered, it's a different story.

Back
Top Bottom